Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

C10 owner here.  So happy that my Dash will live on!

Duane wrote:

As I recall, the dash will prompt for three different types of updates:

1) A full firmware update
2) A Control Panel update
3) A Browser update

If the update is for one of the latter two, then it's likely not a problem.  If it's the first one, then it's more risky.

Yes, it's a "Control Panel Update."  I clicked the "Install" button, it rebooted and is now working again, happily playing commercial-free Pandora.  But I never did see any message about the service being discontinued in July.  Perhaps it will appear later...

Have a C10 for as long as they've been out.  Love it and can't do without.

I have 7 Dash devices - original and the battery version - and up 'til 3 weeks ago I used them all!

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I would be happy to subscribe to keep my dashes going after end of support in July.

When my original Roku Mk1 was sunsetted, they offered me 20% discount off a new Roku and I was happy to take them up on it.  That's what you need to do in these circumstances to retain customer goodwill.  A few "Sony Rewards" points wouldn't go amiss.  The original query in the thread on the Sony Community site was reasonable, however the response was worse than if there was no response at all - it's as if they needed to check a box to say that they responded even though the question was completely ignored!

I have two Dashes. My wife uses it everyday.

I have a Sony Dash. Would be interested in keeping it alive somehow after July.

I have 3 Dashes. I would be happy to subscribe to keep them functional after July 2017. Thank you.

3 Sony Dash in our house.

I'm looking more for a way to run android then a subscription based service. smile

Hi, i am from argentine, and i have a dash....., yesterday my dash show me the message, "you have an actualizatio..." i touch ok, after that de dash cant load control panel...

deegge wrote:

3 Sony Dash in our house.

I'm looking more for a way to run android then a subscription based service. smile

There was a very old version of Android running on the dash device at one point (before it shipped), but the hardware is not really sufficient to run it very well.  However, that was on a development unit, which allowed unsigned partitions.  The production devices use signed partitions with the security fuse blown, and only Sony has the keys.

2 hard Chumbys running Zurk
1 Insignia Infocast 3.5 stock
1 Sony Dash (cycles through home IP cameras)

demarks51 wrote:

What is a Roku Mk1? I know what a Roku is. I have a few of those. But an MK1? And what sunsetted it? Was this pre-Roku 1 SD?
Wikipedia mentions that the Roku DVP was the first release with SD, HD, and XR sub levels.

I think they were simply short-handing "Roku Mark 1", as in the 1st version of the device.

Anxiously awaiting your Dash software to extend it's life after the Sony shut down!

I have a Sony Dash also and would like future use after July 2017

Love my dash.  Happy to pay to keep it working.  Keep up the good work!

Mr. Neato wrote:
demarks51 wrote:

What is a Roku Mk1? I know what a Roku is. I have a few of those. But an MK1? And what sunsetted it? Was this pre-Roku 1 SD?
Wikipedia mentions that the Roku DVP was the first release with SD, HD, and XR sub levels.

I think they were simply short-handing "Roku Mark 1", as in the 1st version of the device.

Yes, that's correct- the first generation unit - I used it as an example of sunsetting a product the right way, retaining goodwill and brand loyalty, not just saying "That's your lot, tough luck!" which appears to be the Sony route.

Like others here, upset - if not entirely surprised - to discover the Sony end of life message popping up this week (relayed by my children with shrieks of dismay), but uplifted by the glimmer of hope offered here. 

Duane - let me add my thanks that you're dedicating time to help us Dash users out/bring us into the Chumby family, and confirm that I'd be happy to subscribe to keep these devices going (2 HID-C10s in my household).  If that's not already clear, there's a sizeable international following: there are a fair few of us in the UK - and the Japan fanbase must be huge.

I have 4 of the C10 Dash, and I love them.  I would LOVE to keep them alive.

Hello.  I have a Dash and look forward to being able to extend the life of the unit after July.  Thank you.

I had no idea Sony was disabling the dashes in July until Tonight when I read the notice on the dash after installing the latest update.

I have two dashes, one still new in the box in case my old one dies. I'll admit I mostly use it as an alarm clock but it has been the best most featured alarm clock I have ever had, the footprint is perfect for my night stand and I would be BUMED to not be able to use it again!

I will absolutely subscribe to the chubby service JUST to add capital to aid in making this thing happen. Thanks so much Duane!!

Have one Sony Dash that has been on my nightstand for years, was pretty bummed out that Sony is killing support until I found this site.

I have two "live" C10's and one still shrink-wrapped in its box.
Still using the live ones every single day, and still think they're great.
I'd love to have an option to keep them usable for the future.
Should I unwrap the one and update it with the firmware from USB just in case?

Love my 2 dashes. Thank you for working to keep em going!

Logging in to a 6 year old account to post...

I have a C10 that I recently took apart and started sizing up for a raspberry pi, but it looks like I may be putting it back together!