Re: Post in this thread if you have a dash...

We have a deployment ready to go for annual subscriptions, we just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Duane wrote:

We have a deployment ready to go for annual subscriptions, we just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Awesome!

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

May I humbly suggest that if you own a Dash and do not currently have a subscription to the Chumby service, please consider subscribing. While Duane is a great guy, he cannot provide this wonderful service to us just out of the goodness of his heart. He has a full time job and a family. The subscription is cheap and helps pay the bills so this service can continue.

Thank you.

Fair enough - done.

A big Thank You to Mr. Neato and 00snappy!

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I also have a Dash and will gladly pay for the right to use the Chumby software package.  Thanks to everyone who is asking for this fix, my Dash is in perfect shape and to just throw it away seems... well wrong.

Thanxs,
Mike Desmond
Cincinnati, OH

Hi - I've got a Dash (a C-10) and I'm very interested in what you can do for it. To be honest, I likely wouldn't like a subscription, but I'd certainly donate a comparable sum of money if you got the Dash working with your applications. It'll save me from building my own Dash alternative using a Raspberry Pi...

I have 1 chumby and 2 dashes.

Think about what you get for your measly $3 a month. Your Dash is back working again, a wonderful forum for fixing whats broke and making new friends, and support second to none with Duane. I wish all my subscriptions were this cheap and useful!

infocastme wrote:

Think about what you get for your measly $3 a month. Your Dash is back working again, a wonderful forum for fixing whats broke and making new friends, and support second to none with Duane. I wish all my subscriptions were this cheap and useful!

When I stated above I'd avoid a "subscription" model, I mostly meant I'd rather pay up front for the service (say, $36 for the year). I'd certainly pay for what's on offer here for my device, and to support the individual doing the work. It would be worth it just to see that money *not* going to Sony, really...

Unfortunately, our entire payment system is based on a subscription.

We have had some folks wary about attaching their credit card, or simply not believers in credit cards that have wanted to use the system.

What I generally recommend they do is head down to the local supermarket and pick up one of those generic gift cards that *also* can be used like a credit card - Stripe accepts those just like regular credit cards, and it naturally sets a limit.  You can still cancel the subscription early and use the remaining balance on the gift card elsewhere.

Yes. I still use my Dash.

MR. NEATO. Thank you for posting this information on other forums to alert us about Duane's efforts. I tried to get the story on slashdot but to no avail. I wonder how many people know that the shutdown is coming. I never received an email from Sony. I was looking at my dash and had a thought pop into my head and happened to stumble upon the announcement. I take it there must not be a whole lot of active Dash accounts buy the amount of coverage this is getting. Especially after last years firmware debacle. I stopped into a local ma and pa tv store a short while ago. They used to mainly carry Sony (not any more) but one of the sons was pretty into things like the dash and still had one out on display. So I came back a few weeks later and hooked him up with the FW update. But here we are again.

I have a C10.

HotelKilo wrote:

You're welcome.  The more we Dash users migrate to Chumby, the better for everyone.  smile

We won't really see a lot of traffic about the dash shutdown until it actually happens.  Sony didn't send out an email or press release, and the system is "sort of" running.  Unless something goes wrong, nobody's going to go to the website - in fact, many wouldn't bother since it hasn't worked since December.

I'd guess that most dash users currently using their devices have no idea the system's going away.

I only found out because someone at Sony let me know - they knew I had an inventory of new dashes that I was selling on thechumbystore.com, and suggested I might want to stop.  I have, for now, but might put them back on sale at some point.

Unfortunately, our entire payment system is based on a subscription.
We have had some folks wary about attaching their credit card, or simply not believers in credit cards that have wanted to use the system.
What I generally recommend they do is head down to the local supermarket and pick up one of those generic gift cards that *also* can be used like a credit card - Stripe accepts those just like regular credit cards, and it naturally sets a limit.  You can still cancel the subscription early and use the remaining balance on the gift card elsewhere.

Certainly I don't have an issue with credit cards online, I just like paying upfront. After looking over what you've done with the Chumby (almost single-handedly, it seems) I'm more inclined to pay the $3, if the Dash is as functional (or more functional) than it is now.

Keep us updated, and let me know if you need beta testers in the wild. I'd be happy to volunteer.

I have a Dash C-10.  I have used it exclusively for a clock and alarm clock.  I bought it because you can preset multiple alarms, and pick the one you want easily.  I also like that the night clock face font is tall thin characters in a dimmed white color that won't fill the bedroom with light.  I'd gladly pay $3 a month (or $36 once a year) to keep a similar functionality.

sometime back, I wrote a script that ran on the chumbys that would read a csv file, and set the alarm automatically, I don't know whether this would be something that might be doable on the dash in the future, but it was REALLY handy... I had different times to wake up depending on a rotating schedule.... and could load in a years worth of wake up times, and chumby would just take care of it for me smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Duane, thanks.  I have a C10 and am glad to see it may not be turning into a door stop.  Do you have a paypal donation link around here somewhere that I can help support this effort?

Another Dash C10 here, and another subscription for you. smile

Please keep the faith.

Well, when we went through this process with chumby back in 2013-2014, we handled donations by people buying stuff on thechumbystore.com (see the "MISC" section) - there are chumby stickers and charms that basically act as donations without running into issues regarding donations that many payment providers impose.

Having said that, there really isn't much in the way of financial pressure with this project that donations would help with - it's really more about me managing my time.  I'm also involved with a startup going through a busy phase.

So glad to have found this!  I have 3 C10's and really like them. Was dismayed at their pending doom, and very glad to find that there is, at least, a ray of hope!

Thank you, for anything you can do to keep these wonderful devices working and useful.

I have 3 Sony Dash C10's all active at the moment.  Would be more than happy to subscribe to your service to keep them going. Love mine and have enjoyed them for many years.

I have two Dashes that I use with a local program to display weather information (local readings, satellite, radar, forecast graph, etc) in our house.  My wife says she "needs" that...  Thanks for your efforts to keep this "alive"!

I have a Dash C10.  I would gladly pay $3 a month to keep it going.

I have a C10.