Topic: Sony's My Dash site is down/error messages

I hope this is not the end of the Dash. My 3 Dash units are working but no one can get into the My Dash site to make any alterations to their account. I can sign into Essentials but My Dash throws an error message. CS just doesn't seem to have clue. After defending Sony in an earlier post I wonder if I was premature with my message.
Anyone having the same problem or have contacted Sony CS?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: Sony's My Dash site is down/error messages

Same problem for about a month.

I sent an email about it to my contacts, it doesn't seem like there's any inclination to fix it.

4 (edited by demarks51 2017-01-30 09:24:33)

This puts any future sales or reregistering Dash units on hold until Sony decides to fix the website. It makes no sense to have a unit that works but you can't alter it from the MYDash website. It seems time for Duane to get the keys to this unit and do it right. Sony just put out a firmware fix last year and their mydash site is down? I took up for Sony to all the bashers and now they do this. I contacted CS chat and they claimed they were sending it up the line to get it fixed. Front line CS people don't really have clue usually. They read what is on the card. Hopefully they will do something.

demarks51 wrote:

It seems time for Duane to get the keys to this unit and do it right.

you say that like Duane has any say in the matter.

instead of talking here, why don't you start a petition of dash owners telling SONY to give it to Blue Octy?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I don't have the keys, and neither did the original Chumby.  We would build unsigned images that would work on special unlocked development devices (the various video services would not work on those devices, since they also lacked the DRM keys). Sony would copy the modified code to their build system, which was a clone of ours but with the production deployment keys, they would rebuild, sign them, and deploy.

The only people that can give me the keys to replace the firmware is Sony. 

I have offered several times to take over the support of the C10 version of the dash, and so far they've declined each time.  The offer still stands, though as you can imagine, the situation seems to be deteriorating that it may get to the point where it stops being worth it.

Just yesterday I wrote on another site about the evils of DRM. I know it is not always avoidable but I do avoid it whenever possible. When I do purchase something with a DRM infection I consider it a rental and not a real purchase. What I am willing to pay reflects that position. One of the reasons I was drawn to the Chumby devices was the position of Chumby (and later, Duane) that users are encouraged to modify/add to what a Chumby could do. I hope when Sony decides to completely drop support for the Dash they are kind enough to hand over support to Duane. It would reflect well on a company that sorely needs some good PR. The odds are not good if you go by Sony's history.

The latest example of why DRM is bad is Shelfie.com. They are going dark and taking all their DRMed books with them. Users who "purchased" DRMed books are just out their money.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

The latest example of why DRM is bad is Shelfie.com. They are going dark and taking all their DRMed books with them. Users who "purchased" DRMed books are just out their money.

I have a *little* sympathy for people that are losing their access... but just a tiny bit.

they bought into it, they enabled it to happen... if they'd refused to hand over money for DRM product, then they'd not be out anything, and maybe this horrible DRM thing would start to die.

I was not pointing at Duane in anyway. Duane knows i am a loyal chum. I was just frustrated with sony. Sending out a firmware fix and then neglecting the dash site.

Still some conversation about MYDASH site being down with no ETA for a fix. The more people to complain the better the chances Sony may hear and answer. It has been a long time since this site was working. Registering Dash units is now impossible and some widgets cannot be adjusted without site access. Hope this is not the end of the line for this product.

I didn't know that this was happening, but now that I do know, I will complain about it to Sony. I have a lot of Chumbys and only one Dash, but the really appealing thing about the Dash is its weather display. It does that better than anything on Chumby and I'd be sorry to lose it.

12 (edited by demarks51 2017-03-10 07:19:34)

From my experience Chumbys are better at some things and the Dash is better at other things.  Just like Infocasts do some things better than Chumby branded and visa versa. They all have their special thing. I have found that the video on the Dash is very good and it still has some vid choices though limited. I have watched Crackle vids on it at times. I hope there is resolution to these snags soon. Sony CS seem to be spouting the Sony line "Well, the Dash is a legacy device that has not been sold for a long time." They also say that the problem is known by Sony and they are working on a solution (if I can put words in their mouths). I am wondering if the problem would mean at least a temporary down  time to completely fix the website and they feel that would anger even more people if nothing works at all. It would also cost them to fix something that they have moved on from a long time ago.  PR compared to Cost compared to Logistics.
In the past, Sony has eventually responded when their cage has been rattled enough. (Squeeky wheel?)

It's an orphan product, it seems.
It would be interesting to know how many are still connecting.
Is the Chumby population declining? I bet it is.

Steevo wrote:

Is the Chumby population declining? I bet it is.

not really.

I was that way when I go to the site using not fully secure proxy servers. Don't know what they block and why they need it, but when I went through a VPN the problem was repeated less frequently.