1 (edited by rsp5y 2016-10-28 11:04:13)

Topic: Two MIT engineers turn Chumby/NeTV into a Personal Assistant!

Hi All!

We built an always-on personal assistant for your TV (built on NeTV!). A visual assistant like this (rather than audio only) can be proactive and offer help/suggestions without you having to remember what you can ask (unlike Echo). Using some basic BLE techniques, we can also identify when you're nearby and customize the experience to you.

Video: diatom.tv/alpha

As you can see, we make it always-on using NeTV's overlay so you never have to be on a particular input to use it.

Interested to hear your thoughts and happy to answer any questions.

PS we're running a super small alpha program if you're interested (there's a fee for the parts and assembly) but it gets you two iterations of our units so you can try it out in your own home.

Chumby community is of course welcome (and bunnie recommended you all himself!)

URL: diatom.tv/alpha
Invite Code: PURPLERAIN

Re: Two MIT engineers turn Chumby/NeTV into a Personal Assistant!

how different is the hardware you've got from the NeTV?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Right now we're using an Android Device + NeTV to get the effect we want. Our second alpha iteration will be custom (we have our own dev boards and are working on that now).

That seems pretty cool.  I'll wait until the beginning of the year to see if you still have room in the alpha program since I wouldn't be able to provide useful feedback between now and the end of the year.

Do you both surf?  I noticed a WSL overlay when you were both next to the TV.  big_smile

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

My cofounder does! He's the kiwi on the left smile btw, we made a new page for it at diatom.tv/veil if you want to stay up-to-date (there's a mailing list you can subscribe to)

I've posted a link to the project on chumby's FB page.

Thank you!

Subscribed!  Thanks for posting here!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker