Topic: BBC News UK Edition Widget and Vintage BBC World Edition Widget

I now notice that both widgets show the headline "undefined. Are they both broken due to changes with the BBC?

Re: BBC News UK Edition Widget and Vintage BBC World Edition Widget

Both widgets working for me, both on site and device.

Both work for me as well.

Works one moment and then fails another

Did you check your Chumby's internet connection? If you have two widgets that work for everyone but you, that may be the problem.

Are other widgets that fetch data from the Internet working reliably?  Does streaming audio work (try a couple of SHOUTcast stations)?

You could well be right as it works now.  Never experienced this before so I will keep my eye on it.

Is BBC vintage news down?  Constant "undefined"

ccchuck wrote:

Is BBC vintage news down?  Constant "undefined"

Yes, the BBC changed the feed.  The original author of the widget will have to fix it.

re: original author fix -Is there actual hope for this?, or is this one of the "lost" widgets?

The "Vintage BBC World Edition" widget should be working now.

I can't see the Vintage BBC World Edition widget in the News category.
And on a related note, perhaps the ABC (AU) News and the Sydney Morning Herald (AU) widgets could be included in the News category. If Joy of Baking counts as News, then Australian news ought to count as News, too. I don't know how much news comes out of the fast-paced world of today's modern baking, but I'd be surprised (and dismayed) if it was more than we could generate as an entire country (particularly given the amount of news coverage we have of several very boring sports).

Oops, my fault - the Vintage BBC World Edition widget should show up in News.

I think the other widgets you mentioned are in the "Australian" category - this is an artifact of our distribution deal with an Australian ISP.  We never made the change to allow widgets to be in multiple categories.

A thousand thanks!

eh... could you tell those guys over at DASH how to fix as well?  We own one of those as well. 

yeah I know but it would be nice ....

Given the way Sony's system is currently set up, even the original author can't update it.  All of the widget upload functionality has been disabled. 

The issue with the widget is that it was relying on Yahoo Pipes, which was unfortunately shut down by Yahoo a few months ago.  All of the chumby-created widgets the used Pipes were fixed long ago, this was a third-party widget, so I had to rebuild it from scratch.  Fortunately, it was based the RSS Sample code we published, so most of the work was in making it look the same.

16 (edited by ccchuck 2016-07-24 10:34:07)

Duane wrote:

Given the way Sony's system is currently set up, even the original author can't update it.  All of the widget upload functionality has been disabled. 

while they did, finally, get it working again after the recent some 3 week outage, I begin to suspect that the dash will be left to a slow death - none of the apps have been repaired, many are gone.
A shame,  it's a nice little machine -

I guess there's no hope of you guys taking it over  :-)  ?

and thanks again.

ccchuck wrote:

I've offered, they declined.

Duane wrote:
ccchuck wrote:

I've offered, they declined.

it's pretty sad that they'd rather let it wither and die instead of letting someone else support it. (sony and dash)

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Sounds like Sony. As long as I can remember Sony has treated their customers like garbage. If the product is "dead" and they have no more profit to make on it why not give it to their customers? It might buy them some much needed good will.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

The "BBC News UK Edition Widget" has been replaced with a working version.