Topic: Yelp widget is not working

The Yelp widget seems to be broken.
It can't accept any city/state location or zip code I tried.

Re: Yelp widget is not working

I'll take a look.

I tried configuring that again, with the zip, city/state. It is not configurable. I was just looking at it and I retested, just to be sure.

Same problem here, however it still works fine on my Dash.

OK, this is due to Yelp deprecating the 1.0 protocol, which this widget uses.

Don't know why it works on the dash - it shouldn't

I'll see if we can get this one going again with the new 2.0 protocol.

Thanks for the error reports. Please give the Yelp widget another shot. Updated it to work with their 2.0 API.

It's working on my I3.5 but tricky to install.

When adding this widget to a channel the web configuration asks me to select a city/state or zip. Whatever I enter is rejected with "please choose another..." error. I click the "x" to give up. The widget is added to my channel anyways and when it loads on my device I am asked to enter my location again. This time it accepts my entry.

8 (edited by adam 2016-03-08 08:59:20)

Oh that's right. I meant to disable / remove the web config widget (because I did not fix it in the same way as the device widget). Thanks for the report.

Which of the following resolutions would you find more desirable?

1) Remove web config (so, configure only on chumby device)
2) Fix the web config

Mine works on chumby 8 and I didn't have to configure anything.

Thanks Plank - if you already had a configured Yelp widget in one of your channels, it *should* just continue working as expected.

I think it is acting up again...

12 (edited by Steevo 2016-03-29 08:04:29)

It's still not working.

The web config cannot take any zip code, all are not found, which I think Adam knows.

So I put it in the channel and on an I3 I cannot put in any zip code.
I tried 92831 and it says no results found.
Also, the problem with a non working web config is on the device you cannot change the display time.
That requires web config.

Thanks for the reports. I'll look into these issues.

Unfortunately, the Recent Reviews feed which this widget relied on is no longer in service. sad

But we have options, including the following:

1) Modify the web configuration to accept a Yelp RSS feed (https://www.yelp.com/rss). Example feeds include Recent Reviews from Your Friends, and Recent Reviews from People You Follow.
2) Promote the Search feature (which is currently in the widget) to the primary function. This would display the *top* results for whatever term you search for, but not *most recent* results (so the feed would change less frequently).
3) Both #1 and #2, as configurable modes.

Please feel free to suggest alternative options or give feedback on either of these. Thanks!

All I like to look at is the local recent reviews written by the public.  I never search.

I think on a Chumby I just let it give me the most recent nearby reviews, which I may see if I notice.
I never search.
So what we need is to be able to configure the zip and the display time.
So most recent in the local area, or most popular in the local area Is all I would want to see.
I have no friends on Yelp, for obvious reasons.  Heh.

Well, a few days ago at one location I noticed the yelp app started working again, it had been configured long ago. Most likely on the web config.

At another location where I am right now, I added the yelp app to a channel I created for this location.
I have two chumbys here with a different channel, local information for where they are.
It finally displayed Yelp in sequence and asked for a zip code.
It then said searching, and then timed out and the widget changed. 
So the Yelp app, never configured on this channel at this location never took it's zip code.
I notice the zip field on the web config is gone.

So not working for me at the moment. I think the old web config configured zip came back and started working, but it cannot be configured on a new channel.

We created a new feed for the Yelp widget, but it only handles actual reviews, not things where people just post photos.  In some cases, that's all there is for some locations, and the widget seems to go into some funny state when that happens.  We're looking into doing something meaningful with photo-only posts.

We did remove the web config, since it's more trouble than it's worth.  Configuration is now done on the device.

If you do have problems, please post the zip code that's not working in this thread so we can try to reproduce it.

19 (edited by Steevo 2016-04-18 21:14:16)

Without the web config you cannot change display time. Right?

I tried zip code 92831 and 86406.  Both return results on the yelp.com site.
The chumby app says no results.

You mean how long it plays for?  I think that's still available.  Configuration is done in two parts - one in HTML that takes care of the stuff that's common to all widgets - time to play, etc, - and a Flash movie that handles stuff particular to a given widget.

I'll look into those zip codes.  We basically wrote a scraper to manufacture an RSS feed to replace the feed that's no longer there - scrapers are typically fragile.

Oh, I thought you said you took out the web config. Yeah, I do mean how long it plays.
It's not working for me with any zip I tried.
Did you find a zip that works?
It might be an old config that still works, I couldn't get a new one to work, but the old one came back a week ago. Started working with the 92831. Same one i cannot config right now in a new channel.

We'll look into it.  It was working late last week, something must have broken again.

OK, I've confirmed that they did make a change.  Working on a fix.

OK, I fixed the issue that was causing the failure to parse the data.

Now they're actively blocking our server.

Duane wrote:

Now they're actively blocking our server.

Maybe an "anti-abuse" rate limiter?