Re: Dash-opacolypse happening?

Appreciate the update. If it weren't for Duane I would not know much about what was happening with Sony. I had heard that the problem was related to Leap Year. ???
Wish Dashes were included in the Chumbysphere and be done with the Sony world. They can't be making any money on these units anymore. Why not turn it over to Duane and be done with it?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Slashdot can be pretty frustrating.  I'm so tempted to chime in, especially since so many people seem to think we're dead, but I think it only makes matters worse if it comes from me.

I posted that Chumby is still ALIVE! on that site.
I had to do it.

Interesting - I'm getting people that are digging out their old chumbys because of the Sony issue and discovering that they work.  So, a bit of a silver lining.

Some emails (mentioned also on Slashdot) are pointing out that I'm selling dashes despite the issue - just to let you all know, when someone places a dash order, we email back telling them what's going on and confirming with them that they still want to buy it.  A couple of people thought the devices were broken and were ordering replacements, so we ended up canceling those orders.

30 (edited by demarks51 2016-03-17 17:46:26)

Cool! Wish you could sell more chums. Any possibility of chumby 2 or 3?
Great that you show integrity in your business. Hopefully Sony will fix c10s soon. Then you can sell the rest of your stock.
I guess you have already cleaned out all your closets that had chums in them?
I'm trying to find a good deal on a b7 and/or b70 to complete my collection.

Btw I posted about how you are handling dash sales. Hope you sell them all.

demarks51 - can you please try something?  I can't find my personal dash at the moment, and I don't want to open up a new one just for this.

Can you take the device into Special Options mode (hold down top button during boot), "restore to factory settings", and reboot?  I don't recall for sure, but I *think* you can reject the internet configuration and set the time to at least get the device to act like a clock, like other chumbys do.

I know there were a few meetings with Sony about this state, but I just don't recall how it was resolved.  I don't know if it's just a clock, or whether we enabled stuff like alarms, or nothing at all.

If it does something better than show that error, that would lessen the pain a little bit until Sony gets this fixed.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/d … 3/c/65,66/

Sony announces a firmware update to be released 3/24 and gives instructions how to factory reset for clock with limited alarm functions (what Duane said).

33 (edited by demarks51 2016-03-18 11:25:47)

I did the factory reset and it does work something like an alarm clock. I looks like the night mode for this unit. It seems to beg to be connected to the internet though.
But maybe light at the end of the tunnel. Sony is going to have a firmware update 3/24. This is good news.
I hope the better news is that all this fuss has driven people to rediscover their chumbys and start getting connected again.

It's also driven the price of the Dash to ridiculous levels for some reason. I'd like to get one, but the $60-80 they seem to be going for on eBay is crazy for a device that could be completely nonfunctional in a few years (considering that I bought my Chumbys for under $30 each).

I suggest first to consider supporting Duane/ BluOcty by purchasing one from him.
There are a few that come through ebay that come under $50 but are rare. After having one for a few months, I can see how it can be worth more than chumbys because of free full use of apps, very nice video capabilities not available with any chumby, and the different themes available. If I get a good deal on a bundle of units, I will share some. I really want a B7 or a B 70.

Downloaded and applied the update this morning. No unexpected problems. All is well.

valageron wrote:

Downloaded and applied the update this morning. No unexpected problems. All is well.

Glad to hear it!

I figured out where my dash was - I loaned it to Ken to hack it.

38 (edited by demarks51 2016-03-24 12:00:17)

PROBLEM SOLVED
I downloaded and installed new firmware and WOW, back in business!
Save time and just go here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-downl … roup_id=18
Details and download instructions. SOOO easy. I was sorta surprised that SONY was willing to update so these guys could work again. Maybe they will work for another 4 years until leap year happens again.

BTW was Ken able to hack into this unit? You can PM if you don't want to announce it to all.