Topic: No Sound

I'm thinking my original chumby may be broken.  After daylight saving time I noticed that my chumby had no sound.  My alarm never went off on Monday morning.

I tried playing music from my local usb and also streaming, but no sound was produced even though it looked like it was playing something.

I tried rebooting and then I heard the clicking sounds when I tap the screen, but still no sound when playing music. 

One of the alarms I had streams music, in the morning since the stream didn't initiate the backup alarm did come on (regular beep).  I tried setting that (the beep) as the alarm but no sound would be produced.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: No Sound

Try a "restore factory settings" - power up while touching the screen, hold until you get to "Special Options".

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried the restore factory settings.  The sounds did come back on after I did that, however after a few minutes of playing music, it went out again. I tried restoring factory settings again but these other attempts aren't working.

Do the screen clicks sound normal, or are they distorted in any way?

Does the problem still happen if you play music from a USB dongle (i.e. "My Music Files") instead of the network?

The clicks did sound distorted, but now they don't make a sound at all.  If I do a factory reset, the intro plays and when I click on the stars and move the green ball it sounds fine, but after the control panel loads, there's no more sound coming out.

The first time I did the factory reset, I played music off of the usb drive.  It played for a few minutes then it stopped.

Hmmm, that's interesting behavior.

One more thing to try - do a USB firmware update.

I updated the firmware from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3.  Sound for alarms, streaming and USB mp3 files are still not working.  However I did find that I had to re-activate the clicking sound.  Clicking sounds are normal. 

Also after upgrading firmware, the intro was playing again and that sounds fine.

Before the firmware update I noticed that my time was off about 10 minutes after a day.  I did not have the time synched to internet time.  I'll see if the time loses minutes tomorrow.

My chumby seems to be playing sounds today.  I was able to play streams as well as mp3 files from the usb.