Topic: The take apart instructions are gone

I have a couple of I 3.5s with bad solder on the power connectors.
I finally got to the point where I need to fix them, or at least one.
I took one apart some years ago.

Took out the four screws. 
I thought the volume knob just pried off. But I can't get it off.

Does it just pry off, and that is required to take apart? I thought so.
I don't remember this much trouble.

The take apart instructions that were posted are gone, well, one is.  The other does not show or discuss the knob.
I'd rather not break it.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=5793

Does the knob just pry off?

Re: The take apart instructions are gone

Oh, I got it.

The knob can be quite stubborn.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

4 (edited by Steevo 2015-08-29 11:21:57)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

The knob can be quite stubborn.

It was. I thought it was a snap on thing, but no, it's just a knurled shaft. Very straightforward.

So I took it all apart.  I couldn't see anything wrong with the soldering on the power connector, so I just resoldered it anyway.
I tested it, and it seemed to work.
Put it back together, and it stopped working.

If I wiggle the power connector it will start to boot, the green screen.  If I continue wiggling it gets some weird looking video, screen gets horizontal lines, and it fails to boot.

If I set it down, it will boot up completely, which is what was going on before I started this today. It might fail in a day or two.  That is what I was trying to resolve.

So as of today this repair is a failure.
I may try again some day.

I have another one around her somewhere, I attempted the power connector resolder on that one, but I couldn't find my small tip.  Since I moved that is all hard to find.  I recently got another small tip and that is what I used today.

I have been trying to remember where I put that other unit.  I think it is still only partially assembled.
Hmm.  It's here somewhere.

Are you sure the power supply is good? A weak power supply will exhibit the symptoms you describe.

6 (edited by BoloMKXXVIII 2015-08-29 11:35:17)

Can you test continuity between the leads of the power supply and a part of the motherboard a little farther back?

I believe the I3.5 has four solder pads. I think two just hold the jack to the board. Are all four good solder joints?

If you could find the other I3.5 you could test to see if this problem child exhibited the same problems with another power source. I know, easier said than done.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Are you sure the power supply is good? A weak power supply will exhibit the symptoms you describe.

I was going to suggest the same thing.  having fixed four c1 power supplies, it's a common failure. and the i3 uses the same power supply.

it's an easy fix for someone that can solder.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I don't have any C1 power supplies.  This is a Dlink power supply that I soldered the plugs from digikey on.

It may not supply enough amperage

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

It may not supply enough amperage

It says 5V 2.5A.

Of course I have not tested that.  But I have 4 or 5 of these in use.

That should be enough...if that is what it is putting out. If so, back to your soldering issue.  sad

On this one, I have examined it under magnification and I don't see a problem. 

The other one, which I have not actually looked for had a visible solder joint problem, and as I said I didn't have a proper tip at the time. I do now. So I have to find that one.