Re: Google Calendar Viewer Beta

SW version report 1.0.7.   BUT.... 24 hours later, more or less, the Google Calendar Viewer Beta magically made it through the auth-token problem and went on to the screen that offers a code to plug into www.google.com/devices .  That, in turn, worked fine and now the widget is up and running again (with two instances showing different calendars, in fact, which requires two different authorizations).

So either something changed or something aged out of a cache or who knows what -- but I'm up and running, thanks all concerned!

Duane wrote:

OK, so it appears this issue is related to the version of firmware on the chumby Classic.  If you're running software version 1.7.2 or earlier, please follow the instructions here to update to firmware version 1.7.3.

Firmware 1.7.3 has an updated SSL certificate bundle - it appears some of the certificates in the 1.7.2 firmware have recently expired.

Yep, updating to firmware 1.7.3 from 1.7.2 fixed the problem on my Classic, thanks.

I have the Infocast with SW version 1.0.7 and am getting the "Request for auth token failed" message.  I have tried reloading the widget, deauthorizing the device and rebooting after each try still to no avail.

Thanks in advance.

29 (edited by demarks51 2015-07-23 09:34:11)

There is a 1.0.8 update that may help. don't have the link right now.

Sorry meant 1.8.0

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Here's the link.

alas, the Google Calendar Viewer Beta has spontaneously decided not to work again: black screen, both instances of the widget, each saying: "Unable to load Google Calendar data.  Try later or press OK to reauthorize" (this immediately after "refreshing auth...".  Pressing OK and following the re-auth process just yields a "Request for auth token failed" screen.

I should note that after the widget started working it worked fine for a week or two, failed for a couple days as described above, spontaneously started working again (no reboots, etc.) and now has failed again as described, for about 3-4 days running now.

Still have SW 1.0.7 on a Chumby One.   All other functions and widgets seem normal, including some with significant data requirements (e.g. live webcams), so I don't suspect wifi problems.

Still haven't been able to get this working on my Chumby8.  SW version is 1.8.2.  Same error "Request for auth token failed."  Made sure to reboot the device.

Previous post mentioned the Chumby Classic 1.7.3 had newer SSL certificates over 1.7.2.  Does 1.8.2 have newer certificates?  Or do we need to wait for a upgrade?

How do I enable logging to see what the widget is doing?

Are there any Google Account settings that need to be made before requesting the token in the widget?

Does anyone have this widget working these days? As with other folks, it stopped working on my Infocast 3.5 several days ago. I have tried a number of things, but nothing seems to help.

I noticed that Google released a new Calendar app for Android phones on July 20. I wonder if they made some other changes at that time that broke the Chumby widget?

Yes, that's probably what happened - we're looking into it.

I'm investigating this some days after the last report of failure, so something may have changed for the better, but Google Calendar Viewer Beta is still working for me on a Classic 3.5 Chumby w/ 1.7.3

Not for me. Still getting "Request for auth token failed." I am using an Infocast 3.5 with software 1.0.7, firmware 1.0.3454.

I will try to remember to test this on some of my other chumbys tonight.

To add to the mystery, I tested this widget on a Chumby One, Infocast 3.5, Classic Chumby, and an Infocast 8 with Chumby 8 firmware. It worked properly on the Classic, but all of the others reported the auth token problem.

ehertz wrote:

To add to the mystery, I tested this widget on a Chumby One, Infocast 3.5, Classic Chumby, and an Infocast 8 with Chumby 8 firmware. It worked properly on the Classic, but all of the others reported the auth token problem.

I wonder if it would work if you installed firmware 1.0.8b on the I3.5 (In the beta feedback section IIRC), since that came out at approximately the same time as the CC firmware.

Upgrading my I3.5 to 1.0.8b did work! I now have my Google Calendar back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Google Calendar broken on my C8 and C1 - as well as the Facebook Photos widget.
For me - my two Chumby's have been degraded to networked picture frames again for several months - this really sucks :-(

Facebook Photos is broken because of Facebook, unfortunately not much we can do about it, though we are trying.  They've basically locked down their system such that devices like ours are no longer able to get the information needed for the widget.   Effectively, the "Facebook graph" they touted a few years back to attract so many developers to use their platform has been reduced to a pale shadow of what it was.  The same thing happened with Twitter.

The Google Calendar widget should work on your C1 if you update to 1.08b firmware.  We'll check on the C8.  I'm also looking into another solution that will increase our server load, but should work around the fundamental issue of old certificates.

Understood, Duane.
Will try the firmware upgrade on the C1 (I had assumed it would propose the upgrade itself - it used to do that).

The C8 is where the Google Calendar widget is most sorely missing though, it's the device near our breakfast table.
Not to disrespect the efforts on your side or anything, but the basic 'networked picture frame' - I had that on Zurk's firmware too.
I became a subscriber to be able to enjoy the hassle-free use of apps like FB & Google Calendar, so the last months have been a bit of a bummer, I do hope it's temporary.

Duane - Any updates on the C8 progress with this widget?

You can't believe how many events I missed due to the lack of the Google Calendar on our kitchen Chumby 8!

I'll check with the developer.

Any updates on the Google Calendar Viewer widget? It has been a long time...

We're working on it - I may have to make a minor server change, but we'll know that shortly.

Apologies for the delay! Updated with a fix. Please try Google Calendar Viewer Beta again.

Tried it out this morning and it is working again! Thanks!

Wow, I really missed seeing my calendar in the morning.

This new revision fixed the Viewer for me too, on my C1.  THANKS!

Works on C8 - very happy, thanks!!