Re: Chumbians -- I need your help with a WiFi login.

carldc wrote:

So is this the end of the road for wifi on my office Chumby or are there any other avenues to explore?

Sadly, I think so.  Unless you get somebody who is more familiar with wireless in the kernel that might be able to update the rt73 driver to work with wpa_supplicant.  That's a little more time than I have available to look into this right now.

I did leave the guts of a chumby classic at the office, so if I ever get around to it, I might hook up a wired interface so I can remotely work on it at night when I have the majority of my free time.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I suppose it'd be 'against regulations' to just sneak a cheap-o wifi router into your office, plug its WAN port into your hardwire ethernet port across the room, and run your own little private wifi network for your Chumby?  WPA2 protected, of course, and maybe SSID off to avoid unnecessary discussions...

Yeah, I suppose that might not be smiled upon by the authorities sad  Not worth getting fired over, for sure!

(of course, maybe the hardwire ethernet connection is also locked down some way that would not only stymie this idea but even a direct Chumby hookup)

28 (edited by infocastme 2015-06-18 17:38:22)

Not sure why I did not think of this earlier, you could use Ethernet over AC to get the wired connection from one wall to the other. I use a Trendnet 500 MB for Netflix streaming to my Roku and have no issues. Had a dead spot with WiFi.

Came up with this link of what it is with a quick search

TRENDnet TPL-406E2K 500Mbps Compact Powerline AV Adapter Kit - RJ-45, 500Mbps, NEMA 5–15, 2x TPL-406E Adapters

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … ;CatId=211

It is going for $35

infocastme wrote:

Not sure why I did not think of this earlier, you could use Ethernet over AC to get the wired connection from one wall to the other. I use a Trendnet 500 MB for Netflix streaming to my Roku and have no issues. Had a dead spot with WiFi.

Came up with this link of what it is with a quick search

TRENDnet TPL-406E2K 500Mbps Compact Powerline AV Adapter Kit - RJ-45, 500Mbps, NEMA 5–15, 2x TPL-406E Adapters

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … ;CatId=211

It is going for $35

I wouldn't try it if you have a lot of devices on one circuit, however. I got a TP-Link powerline box for the same reason, but I ended up just using a cheap router with OpenWRT to repeat the WiFi signal instead. I think the highest speeds I could get out of it were about 2.5-3 Mbps.

nathanm wrote:
infocastme wrote:

I wouldn't try it if you have a lot of devices on one circuit, however. I got a TP-Link powerline box for the same reason, but I ended up just using a cheap router with OpenWRT to repeat the WiFi signal instead. I think the highest speeds I could get out of it were about 2.5-3 Mbps.

shouldn't need a lot of bandwidth to keep a chumby running, and it wouldn't anger the corporate infosec gods like rogue wifi would.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

diamaunt wrote:
nathanm wrote:
infocastme wrote:

shouldn't need a lot of bandwidth to keep a chumby running, and it wouldn't anger the corporate infosec gods like rogue wifi would.

Not if you have a hidden SSID and don't tell anyone! wink

nathanm wrote:
diamaunt wrote:

one of my buddies a couple jobs ago was one of the network guys.

at that job, setting up your own wifi AP was STRICTLY forbidden, because of the security implications (people sitting in the parking lot breaching corporate security, etc).

he had a notebook with a wifi adapter and external antenna.. occasionally he'd be wandering around with that notebook looking for an unauthorized AP someone had set up for their own convenience.   at which point, it would get yanked out, and that person would go talk to the division VP. 

if he wasn't feeling like wandering around looking, he'd just do a quick scan on the network switches for unauthorized MACs, and turn off that port, until he got around to looking.

nowdays, of course, he'd use a cellphone with a wifi sniffer app.

ssid or not, you can't hide the radio transmissions.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

33 (edited by bazfum 2015-06-22 19:19:11)

nathanm wrote:

At least where I work, it will only stay hidden if you never turn it on... I get an email from our enterprise Wi-Fi if it detects that sort of thing. Then you get a nastygram from the CIO... big_smile

On the flip side, we have a building-wide employee network that would be accepting of a Chumby.

34 (edited by carldc 2015-07-08 13:48:51)

I've been away for a while, but I haven't given up. It may be time for 'plan C' though. WiFi from my computer is out. IT wont let me (and they're in the same building as I am, so it wouldn't stay hidden). They did say I could set up a hot spot from my own cell phone, but I don't have unlimited data, and that'd be a hassle anyway.
The bad news is that they wont allow an Ethernet connection either -- so that's also out.

I'm down to three options, I think:
1. very creative brainstorming about how to use my existing Chumby Classic.
2. consider alternative Chumbys (C1 or C8).
3. you tell me!

For option 1 -- can I run a WIRED connection of some sort from my computer to the Chumby? It would be awkward, but at this point...
For option 2 -- there was some earlier discussion about the C1 and C8 being different from the CC. It didn't sound too promising, but would getting another type of Chumby be a consideration?

If your computer is using Wifi, then you may be able to share your wireless connection with the Ethernet port - you'd probably need to NAT the Chumby.  This would be trivial with a Mac, not sure about Windows since that's not my particular poison.

If your computer is using a wired connection tying up the port, you might be able to add a second adapter with USB, or a new card in the case of a desktop machine.

Wired Ethernet. Desktop. New card is out (again, IT).
I'm pretty sure I have at least one open USB port. So, could I run something from there to the Chumby?

If, as you say above, the IT Gods are cool with you running a hotspot from your phone, then... depending on reception, you might be able to use a FreedomPop mifi / hotspot for free or cheap.

I used to use one when traveling, and as long as Sprint data reception was OK, I had data and a WiFi hotspot created by this little unit.  I believe they allow 500MB per month FREE at 4G, but if you need to fall back to 3G at your location(s), that's a few bucks a month ($4?).  I imagine the data requirements of a Chumby are pretty low, but I don't know if that would run over 500MB or not (you can also buy more data ahead cheaper than paying an overage).

You do have to buy the mifi/hotspot device, and I'd be cautious about buying the cheap one ("Freedom Spot Overdrive Pro")  because it uses a Sprint 4G service (WiMax) that's being phased out this Fall.  So you'd then have to pay the $4/mo for 3G fallback or get a new mifi anyhow.

If you decide to do business with these guys... you really DO get the free 500MB 4G data, if available at your site, but you need to watch out for extra add-on options and pre-checked boxes in their order forms, etc.  They do try to lard in the add-on charges during ordering.

38 (edited by carldc 2015-08-24 12:19:10)

Well, I've given up (for now). I'm hoping they'll create an open guest wifi as they've done for other buildings here. In the meantime, webOS fans may be interested to know that I've put my old Pre3 to work its Touchstone Audio dock in place of the old CC. Using ÜberRadio app paired it with the Jambox I've been using. I'll see how that works.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This is a great community!