Topic: weather underground webcams

Is this still working?
I seem unable to get a camera to work.

Re: weather underground webcams

Hmmm, I'll take a look to see what's up.

Duane wrote:

Hmmm, I'll take a look to see what's up.

I guess it's not working?

Looks like they've gone commercial. I'll see whether the business terms make any sense.

I too would like this widget back if possible.  Thanks!

Can you guys let me know what app you're using for this?

I didn't realize that it is gone now. This is the link on the Sony site: http://dash.dash.sel.sony.com/guide/widget/Weather%20Underground%20Cam's

Looks like it was a third-party app so my hands were tied anyway.

It seems that Wunderground has totally changed the way webcams are accessed, which is why the widget no longer works.  It also seems that they got bought by The Weather Channel in 2012, which explains the new commercial terms.

@ccchuck - are you using this on the dash?  If so, even if I can fix/replace it for chumby devices, I can't update the version for the dash.

So here's the issue - since there would be recurring monthly costs associated with this, I guess I need to know how many people want this widget, and see if it's enough to justify the new expense. My guess is that we'd need the $200/month tier, it doesn't make sense to do that for just a few people - assuming they'd even approve (I have to apply for an API key and explain myself).

There does seem to be a way to use one of the Image URL widgets to get much the same effect as a dedicated cam widget - you'd go to their site, bring up the cam you want, open the image into a new browser tab, then enter the URL into one of those widgets without the "?12345676" cachebuster thing at the end.

I'm ok with using Image URL.    Unless someone develops additional new Wunderground widgets, that widget alone is not worth the extra money.

Plank wrote:

I'm ok with using Image URL.    Unless someone develops additional new Wunderground widgets, that widget alone is not worth the extra money.

same here - save the money for something better later on.

OK, please let me know if the Image URL method works - if not, we'l see if there's something else we can do.

Duane wrote:

OK, please let me know if the Image URL method works - if not, we'l see if there's something else we can do.

Tried one today, worked fine.

It snowed in the deep South so we are all going crazy...