Topic: Silent Infocast 3.5

My Infocast 3.5 worked fine until the past month or so, when sound has mostly vanished.  I can't hear Pandora or iHeartRadio stations any more, and most alarms are silent as well.  Rebooting hasn't corrected the problem.  Thought it might be my pair of external speakers, but unplugging them changes nothing.  I've checked the volume setting in the control panel as well, and it's neither muted nor turned all the way down.

Any troubleshooting suggestions from Chumbyland?

Re: Silent Infocast 3.5

Do you have anything plugged into the USB ports? If so, remove that, unplug the speakers, and reboot. I was charging some devices from my Classic, and that's how I fixed the same issue. If this doesn't help, you have a power supply problem. The Chumby 1/I3.5 have an unusually sized plug, so it can be hard to find a replacement. The Chumby Store is currently out of Chumby One power supplies (if I recall correctly, there's a new batch in February). If that's too long to wait, you could probably get away with clipping the connector and some wire from the power supply and splicing them to a different adapter with the same voltage. However, I don't feel that comfortable supporting that solution.

Try a factory reset, and you probably ought to see if the firmware needs to be updated just in case.

This isn't an issue I've heard of with the I3.5.

Hi, I have just recently unplugged my I3.5 from my stereo to use the
internal speaker and found that there is no longer audio from the
speaker. I have tried resetting it and re-updatting the firmware.
I believe the newest, non-zurk firmware is 1.07. On the device info
page it says SW 1.07 and FW 1.03. Is there any other resets I can do?

Thanks

Does the device still generate audio with the external speaker jack?

Yes, I failed to mention that, the headphone/audio out works fine.
I also opened it up and put a meter on the speaker and got around
6.5 ohms, so the speaker should be good.

It's possible that the device is not properly detecting the non-presence of the speaker jack for some reason.

If you can SSH into the device, try the command (this works on C1/I3.5 only):

headphone_present; echo $?

If the headphone is plugged in, it should type '0', if not then '1'

(Yes, it seems backwards, but it's that way for a reason)

The script checks the same hardware register used by ALSA to determine the state of the headphone jack.

If you don't know how to, here's a guide to show you how to ssh into the chumby.

It is giving me a 0

OK, so the hardware seems to think the headphone is still inserted - that would certainly explain it.  Since you have the device open, can you take a hard look at the headphone jack to see if there's anything obviously wrong with it?

Headphone jack looks fine, not sure how exactly it tells that there's one plugged in I suspect it's a switching jack of some sort. There are four solder joints, left, right ground and a fourth one that's at the back of the jack. I tested that fourth one to see if it showed any continuity between the ground but it didn't show anything with a plug inserted in the jack or without. Anyway to trick the hardware into  thinking there isn't one so it will play out the speaker?

I created this thread, but didn't follow it...plainly my issue is not unique.

I tested my Infocast 3.5 with an external speaker via the headphones jack, and like vinylinterior, find that it does.  Thus it seems to not detect when the jack is removed.  A factory reset didn't resolve matters.

Anything else to try?

My Infocast 3.5 lost access to IHeart radio this morning. I was listening to a station just fine and went to search for a particular city/station and the unit was not displaying a known station. Then the app more or less went unresponsive followed by an uninitiated reboot. At this time IHeart was gone from the menu listening the various streaming apps. Everything else seems to be working OK. Not sure why IHeart just up and disappeared. I am not a monthly subscriber btw although IHeart has worked fine for the past year or longer.

kimtoufectis wrote:

My Infocast 3.5 worked fine until the past month or so, when sound has mostly vanished.  I can't hear Pandora or iHeartRadio stations any more, and most alarms are silent as well.  Rebooting hasn't corrected the problem.  Thought it might be my pair of external speakers, but unplugging them changes nothing.  I've checked the volume setting in the control panel as well, and it's neither muted nor turned all the way down.

Any troubleshooting suggestions from Chumbyland?