Re: *Where* is your chumby?

I keep mine next to my bed, aside my siriusxm radio and ipod alarm clock. I love the chumy shoutcast radio option though..very easily connects, stays connected and the speakers are surpisingly very good.
anitoch old time radio kicks a$$ !!

Chubby sits on my desk in my room, where I'm trying to turn it into a robot! big_smile

My 8 inch Infocast is being my fancy wireless photo frame.  Sitting happily in the living room, showing all sorts of stuff the average photo frame can never do. smile

104 (edited by AndySocial 2011-03-18 10:30:39)

Chumly sits next to Ralf the Wise and Powerful (my PC) in the living room. Chumly enjoys watching semi-random webcams and streaming music from KROQ to my benighted demesne in Texas.

Wumby (I considered Tennessee Tuxedo but that seemed too obvious) spends most of his time currently by my wife's side of the bed, where it lulls her to sleep with a roaring fireplace. During daylight hours it gets to move into the living room, showing a different array of webcams from zoos and beaches.

105 (edited by uncleop 2011-03-27 16:45:38)

I am a new Chumby herder.  I have two: one is my replacement alarm clock in my bedroom, the other is still in its box until I have gotten the hang of configuring the first.

p.s. - both are Chumby Ones from the recent woot! offering.

I have recently put my chumby next to my bed and I have put it a special network antenna.Now the internet runs more faster and thats why I changed its position next to my bed. Very Comfortable!

At the moment I don't need to turn on the chumby one and the Insignia Infocast,instead I've disassembled the chumby 8,I've removed the internal components and I've kept the enclosure and the touch screen. My goal is to replace the mobo with a beagle board to make something different.

My Chumby One (Chucks Chumby) is  in the kitchen plugged into the audio input of my Boom Box.  When I bought it I was under the impression that it was a consumer electronics device.  It's  a hobbyist's device.  It is quirky and frequently responds unpredictably. There are only few streams that don't cut off after 45 seconds to 2 minutes.

We have two.  Our son's Chumby One is in his bedroom next to his bed (he loves to watch Letterman's top ten each night before going to sleep) and ours is in our bedroom.

I've got 2 C-Ones. One in my living room, the other beside my bed.

Now summer is coming, with hot temps.

Just connect a small and silent USB-Fan to the usb port of the chumby.

Sleep well without sweat :-D

I usually make sure its on my desk as it makes a great little small talk item

I have three Infocast 8's at home; one on my desk, one in my desk, and one still in its box.  I also have two Infocast 3.5's and now a Chumby One at work.

Two of the 8's at home are being set up as internet-enabled photo frames for my parents and grandmother across the country.  The third is for myself and will probably end up living next to my bed, aggregating data from the home network, as well as my hosted web server.

I intend to give (well, indefinitely loan) the two Infocast 3.5's to the other two guys on my team, and have the Chumby One at my desk, and have them display status messages we post on an internal web server, so people know whether we're out to lunch, working from home, in a meeting, etc.  I also intend to set up a little scrollable "reference table" for me to use when I'm at my desk to has information I use frequently such as server IP addresses and the like that I can flip through.  If I get ambitious, I might make something that can hit our server monitor page and provide us a "stats-at-a-glance" screen.

My three Chumbys have gathered together in my bedroom during these troubled times. They've left their more glamorous spots in the house- kind of "circling the wagons together." My Chumby 8 is next to my Computer, and often settles into a peaceful slideshow with the time overlay. I guess he's keeping his distance from the "server worries." But I do switch to a more glorious channel at times, just so he knows what the weather's like outside, etc. Once in a while he gets a treat like BubbleWrap. My youngest Chumby 1 has been trying to get by on an early (simple) version of the offline firmware, doing pretty well testing it for a few weeks now. But it's certainly far from the glory days of hundreds of widgets, flying from the Times Square Cam to Chumbyland in a matter of seconds.

My oldest Chumby 1 continues his loyal, essential service at my bedside. Every night, he still soothes me to sleep with Sky.fm or Nirvana Radio. I usually just run a simple "Relaxation" channel on it, a couple of glowing clocks, some basic weather, and a widget that displays a few classic quotes like "Keep Calm and Carry On."

They've actually all just come together temporarily for mundane reasons like SSHing into them, but it's kind of fun having this range of Chumby stuff around me. Hopefully, my offline setup and testing will be done soon, so they can return to their normal spots while the Chumby Servers are still going strong. I hate having to go out the front door without seeing a last-minute flash of the weather radar on my living room Chumby.

In the living room, kind of as a clock/alarm clock kind of thing.

In our condo in Winter Park, Colo! I miss all my widgets !!

Yes.It's usually displaying a plot from my weather station, with override when important email comes in.  It also runs esd to provide audio notification of important events.

Artie-Toody sits on my desk at work, where he plays music all day.

Chumbly sits on a shelf in the family room, where he's a clock and the Sunday morning radio.

(And the Sony Dash sits beside the bed where he's mostly just a clock.)

http://i.imgur.com/iTdPnNB.jpg

Right on the same table it has always sat on since I got it for christmas in 2007.

Now that this thread has been revived, perhaps it is time for an update on my Chumby locations since I last posted on this thread in 2010.
I have a white Classic in the study, a Sony Dash in the kitchen, an Infocast 8 and a Chumby 8 in the lounge room, a latte Classic in the hallway, a Chumby One in my bedroom and a black Classic in my flatmate's bedroom. I've got two more black Classics and an Infocast 3 that are currently resting. The only rooms in the house without Chumbys are the bathroom, toilet and laundry.

In my son's bedroom as an alarm clock now. Thinking of taking it to school to let my CS class play with it for a class project to see what they come up with. I like taking in old tech for the kiddos to see. It's important for the youth of today to see what new technology looked like way back then!

I have a Chumby One in my home office, an Infocast 8 in my bedroom, a Chumby 8 in the living room, a Chumby 8 in the Garage next to my workbench, a greatly modified Infocast 3.5 (http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=9477) sitting on my work bench and a disarticulated Chumby One waiting for me to breath new life into it. Possibly as some sort of steampunk device.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I have them sprinkled all over the world.
Chicago (daughter's)
Hollywood (daughter's)
Shanghai (son's)
Several around southern california (Lakewood, Torrance, Redondo Beach)
At my home they are in the master bedroom, office, family room and guest bedroom

123 (edited by comotose 2023-04-06 19:56:31)

Black Chumby Classic has been used as our primary living room clock for over 15 years. I wish I had kept my prototype from “back in the day” but I do still have my Chumby bag and the “pendant”.

I love my Chumby!

Love seeing that people are still using them. I still have three running. One is a livingroom clock. Another is a clock in my study. And a third is an alarm/clock radio in our bedroom.
I got my first one 15 years ago. I can't imagine what I'm going to do the day I have to look for something else to replace them.