Re: Google Calendar widget won't take private XML

Yes thank you for for the detailed report bho. The app is updated - please try again.

Any feedback on the latest version?

28 (edited by bho 2014-11-24 17:18:37)

Sorry, my notifications for this thread got turned off somehow so I missed the update notice for the 11/21/2014 beta.

Unfortunately.... that's whenthe new GCal widget went essentially dead for me.  All it shows is a gray screen with a horizontal blue line about 1/5 of the way from the top, and an icon of a (numberless) calendar page centered on the screen.  That's it (even when pinned forever, just to see if it was merely 'slow').  No amount of prodding on the screen anywhere seems to make it do anything at all.

Just to be sure, I just now (Monday) removed the widget and re-installed it, then rebooted the Chumby One.  No go, still just sitting there with that static nothing-screen.  (I presumed I'd have to re-connect to my calendar(s) after removal and reinstallation, but I don't get that opportunity!)

I have wifi on the Chumby ok -- other widgets are working normally.  Any suggestions for things to try, or diagnostics to relay?

After a LONG time pinned, it seems to have come to life (unless you guys pushed some button on your end!) and I successfully re-authorized the widget.   So I'll tinker with it and see what I can tell you as soon as I have a moment.

no joy, the widget subsequently returned to just being 'stuck' on the above-mentioned line-and-calendar-icon screen, with no data... no matter how long I pin it (within reason!)

Thanks for the report bho. I'm sorry the app is misbehaving for you. If you would be willing to share your calendar for investigation, please send me a forum email.

I would be very grateful to see the Google Calendar Viewer working again. I assume that Google has now changed the API to version 3 and every other version before hand no longer works. Are you able to confirm whether this is in the pipe line to work?

If you read the thread, you'll see there's a beta version of the Google Calendar Viewer widget that you can try.

Please see this post.

The widget is working for me. It seems to be displaying my appointments for this month correctly, showing time, place and notes.
The only downside is that the way that it is displayed is not at all useful to me. I used to use the Google Calendar Viewer that showed upcoming events. I had this in my 'Morning' channel that would come up on my bedroom Chumby early in the morning, for pre-alarm snoozing viewing; and on my breakfast room Chumby, for occasional glancing at whilst reading news and emails on my computer.
In neither of these situations would I be very likely to tap on a calendar on the Chumby to view the day's appointments. I would very much prefer to have my next few appointments just served up to me on the Chumby.

I have tried the widget and can see how much work has gone into this. I also require the same functionality as Blue Buddy. I would ideally like to see my days appointments show up without having to tap the date. I hope you can re-build the original Google Calendar Viewer. It's the reason why I pay the subscription.

I too use (or used to use) the Google Calendar Viewer. Being able to view the list of events by default is essential. Tapping on the date defeats the purpose of a largely hands-off device that is always telling me what I want to know.

Can this one be fixed as well?

We're looking into porting some of the changes into the Google Calendar Viewer.

steelpaw wrote:

The widget is working for me. It seems to be displaying my appointments for this month correctly, showing time, place and notes.

It was working, but now it isn't.
Now I, too, am getting the 'blue line and icon' only.

steelpaw wrote:

It was working, but now it isn't.
Now I, too, am getting the 'blue line and icon' only.

Thanks for the report.

Does the calendar start working again if you power cycle the chumby?

adam wrote:

Does the calendar start working again if you power cycle the chumby?

No, it doesn't - I still have the blue line and icon.

Would be thrilled to see the other Google Calendar widget working (Google Calendar Viewer). Is this very much on your TODO list? Or being scrapped?

Thank you for sorting our widgets out.

Yes Google Calendar Viewer is still very much on the TODO list. Expect an update this week.

Fans of Google Calendar Viewer, please try the beta: Google Calendar Viewer Beta

Expect the same device authorization flow found in the new version of the Google Calendar widget (you'll want to be near a device with a browser to complete the transaction).

So far, I have had this running for about 15 minutes and IT LOOKS GREAT.

It takes quite a while to load (23 seconds), but I suspect that is Google's fault. Aside from the loading speed, it is exactly what I want to see. Thanks very much adam.

Well, now it seems to no longer load at all. I set the widget for 2 minutes, and it just stays on the Loading... screen.

ehertz wrote:

Well, now it seems to no longer load at all. I set the widget for 2 minutes, and it just stays on the Loading... screen.

Shoot. Thanks for report ehertz. That sounds like a bug some have experienced with the "Google Calendar Beta" widget as well. Not surprising, as the startup sequence for these widgets is now very similar. Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce the stuck-on-loading behavior with either widget.

I updated both calendar widgets to display some messaging on the loading screen. If it gets stuck, please note the status message and report back. That should help me debug.

Google Calendar Beta and Google Calendar Viewer Beta have been updated.

A fix for the stuck-on-loading bug has been applied to both.

Thanks to bho for capturing a log that revealed the cause!

In addition, Google Calendar Viewer Beta should start up with slightly less delay now.

48 (edited by MichaelDJJohnson 2014-12-14 10:25:50)

Thank you for updating this widget. You are indeed my hero.

I have adapted to the events view. I ask that you are able to include a switch within the setting so you can start in day mode. Just like the original.

That a side, thank you for giving my Chumby a real use again. Google Calendar Viewer Beta is 10/10.

So far so good on the new/current beta versions of both widgets.  They seem to authenticate and stay working now (no stuck screen problem anymore).

One oddity I noticed was this: I set two back-to-back GCal Viewer copies in the same channel, authenticated Copy 1 and selected a calendar, ok, then authenticated Copy 2 to the same Google account, but selected a different calendar, also ok -- and when the first copy came 'round again, it was un-authenticated again and I had to re-do the process.  But after that it "took", and both copies have been working OK since then, showing their respective calendars correctly.

Again, being able to select multiple calendars from the same account within a single widget copy (and displaying the union of their events) would be nice.  But I understand it may well not be practical for any number of reasons!

A minor nit on the non-viewer ("Month") GCal widget beta:  event times in the form 9:05 display as 9:5 -- that is, without the leading 0 zero on the minutes.  The Viewer widget seems to be fine in this regard.

Adam, thanks for all your work on this!

Things definitely look better this morning. I have had both widgets running for about an hour now with no problems.

There is one additional feature I would like to see for the Google Calendar Beta monthly calender version. When I click on a date, it shows the first appointment of that day. Then at the bottom left of the screen, there is an indication about the number of appointments for the day, such as "2 events". But I can't find a way to see those other events.

If it is possible, how about if clicking on the "2 events" brought up a summary of all things scheduled for the day? Or even if there were just forward and backward arrows on the screen to flip between the current appointment being displayed and the next or previous one?

Adam, I really very much appreciate your work on this.