Topic: cant get my stream to work on my streams

hi I help operate  a online radio station we steam on rapidfireradio.caster.fm I have configured the player to mp3 same on my server  but all I get is to do is say idle , also have same problem with shoutcast servers can you tell me what is going on ,
thanks
mcgyver at rapid fire radio D/J .

Re: cant get my stream to work on my streams

Can you provide me a link to the MP3 stream or M3U/PLS so I can investigate?

OK, I got this to work.

It looks like this system uses a form of authentication for each stream user, though I'm not sure what the point is.

On the rapidfireradio.caster.fm site, press the second item on the right side of the gray bar "Rapid Fire Radio" (the tooltip says "Tune in with your media player", it's a small triangular play button in a rectangle).

Then scroll the page to expose the "Tune-In Links Are Unique to You, You Cannot Share These Links." section, and the URL is at the bottom of the white box, labeled "Direct Link To Be Added Manualy" (sic) - it looks like:

http://shaincast.caster.fm:42462/listen.mp3?blahblahblah

...where the "blahblahblah" is the authentication code, which is apparently required and unique to you.  This need to be entered *exactly* into the URL section of the stream on the device, which is tricky given the complexity of the URL and the limitations of the on-screen keyboard.

To avoid entering this whole thing on the device and risk error, what I did is was create an entry with no URL on the device, then SSH'd into the device and used "vi" to edit the "/psp/url_streams" file to insert the URL, synced the file system, then restarted the Control Panel (or you can reboot).

OK, it looks like the reason for the authentication is that caster.fm has different plan tiers for their broadcasters based on the number of listeners.  The "authentication" seems to be a method for assigning unique identifiers per listener for accounting purposes, and is tied to your public IP.

hum I typed in the address as you said and checked it 3 times still say idle when I hit play

here is the model number of the unit I have  ns-dp3ch
thanks

I also cant get any shoutcast server to work  says same thing idle

Well, the fact that you can't get any SHOUTcast streams to play is indicative of something else going on.

I was able to get the rapidfire stream playing just fine on my device - but then I get SHOUTcast playing just fine too.

My guess is that this is something going on on your network.  Do "Radio Paradise" or "WFMU" in "blue octy radio" work?

yes they do

Hmm that's quite weird - so *none* of the SHOUTcast stations work?

If you search for some common genre like "Rock", do any of those stations play?

This seems to be an Insignia Infocast 3, not a chumby branded device, correct?

correct it is a insignia
none of the shoutcast streams play

Can you check the version of the software (Settings->Chumby Info->SW)?

It should be 1.0.7

yup that's right 1.0.7

With my Infocast 3.5, SW 1.0.7:

icantposturls becomes the URL Duane posted with the appropriate auth string

Command line playback works:

btplay icantposturls

My Streams config works:

Name: test url
URL: icantposturls
Type: MP3 

Type OGG seemed to work ok while M3U and PLS didn't load within the period of my patience.

eflad wrote:

I also cant get any shoutcast server to work  says same thing idle

Are you sure that none of the Shoutcast streams work? I noticed when I tried Shoutcast ,that the first several stations listed, at least on my version (Xtreme Radio, Public Radio Remix, Delta FM 99.1, WVHU 800 AM, KSKA, Radio d'Oc, SNCF - Lorraine, lectrique Radio, Radio Zrisee, Contact Up Mix, Radio 911 FM) all seem to be broken. But if I follow Duane's suggestion, and use "rock" as my search term, the first few stations that pop up (Radio Jat, Otvoreni Radio, and NAXI Radio 96.9) are all working fine.

If you want some working streams to test, you may want to look at this thread: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8411 , where I posted a whole bunch of working streams a couple of years ago, as well as directions for modifying the URL Streams file. While I can't guarantee that all of those streams still work, I know the vast majority do, because I do use them. I do try to keep the spreadsheet that is referenced in that post updated, adding new stations that I might like, and removing ones that no longer function.