Topic: ssh password lost on Classic--What to do?

Back in the day I set an ssh password--long gone.

Now I'm trying to USB flash new firmware as a means to recover and I can get to the screen with the three choices of update from network, update from USB and cancel, but only the cancel button is live. Using special functions I've confirmed that the USB stick is readable, but I can't do the update.

Any advice on how to proceed from here?

/Steve

2 (edited by nathanm 2014-11-28 19:37:32)

Re: ssh password lost on Classic--What to do?

First, I'd try connecting a USB keyboard to the Chumby and pressing the squeeze switch. It should open up a terminal, which you may be able to use "passwd" with. If it doesn't work, your firmware's probably too old, in which case I'd try using the info here.
About the update: Some chumbys only work with FAT formatted drives up to a certain size. I'd find the smallest flash drive you can that will fit the firmware update, and go from there.

EDIT: I just tried it, and the USB keyboard trick doesn't work on the chumby Classic (or I'm being a moron).

The USB keyboard trick only works on the C1.

The comment about the format and size of the drive is correct - chances are that the USB drive is not being mounted, and without that, the update can't be done.

I found a USB stick that worked! All better now.

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to figure out alternatives.

/Steve