Topic: Special options won't boot, and "repair safe mode" is greyed out?

Hi, I have an Infocast 8, which I had to reimage with the image from Insignia, posted over on their forums. I imaged the file onto the SD card and it booted fine.

I wanted to update it to the latest version, 1.8.2, to be able to use Zurk's offline firmware and be up to date. When I try to boot into special options, it hangs. I saw a similar post here discussing the same problem, and they were able to fix it by going into options and selecting "Repair Safe Mode" when the device was booted up with update.zip on it. For me, this option is grayed out.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is there a manual command I can give to force "Repair Safe Mode" via debugchumby or SSH? Could this be an issue with bad blocks? What should the dd command have been? I saw a file called repair_bad_blocks-1.6.zip mentioned in another thread, but it's a dead link.

2 (edited by nathanm 2013-08-21 16:06:02)

Re: Special options won't boot, and "repair safe mode" is greyed out?

violetdream wrote:

Hi, I have an Infocast 8, which I had to reimage with the image from Insignia, posted over on their forums. I imaged the file onto the SD card and it booted fine.

I wanted to update it to the latest version, 1.8.2, to be able to use Zurk's offline firmware and be up to date. When I try to boot into special options, it hangs. I saw a similar post here discussing the same problem, and they were able to fix it by going into options and selecting "Repair Safe Mode" when the device was booted up with update.zip on it. For me, this option is grayed out.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is there a manual command I can give to force "Repair Safe Mode" via debugchumby or SSH? Could this be an issue with bad blocks? What should the dd command have been? I saw a file called repair_bad_blocks-1.6.zip mentioned in another thread, but it's a dead link.

First, are you sure that you're not supposed to simply put the image onto the card instead of imaging it? Also, the firmware update is here, as you may have the wrong file. http://files.chumby.com/resources/infoc … update.zip . You may need to try a USB stick instead of an SD card as well.

Re: Special options won't boot, and "repair safe mode" is greyed out?

I have the same trouble.   I can't update nor "repair safe mode"..  The unit works fine, just can't update the firmware