Re: Pandora quits

Hmm, OK I'm going to run some more tests this weekend.

I left the chumby classic playing pandora overnight and again, it had an "are you still there" popup in the morning. I pushed the only button and it started playing again.

My wife uses Pandora on our I8 and hasn't mentioned any problems with it quitting unexpectedly. She had it on for several hours (on Thursday I think it was) with no issues. Not sure if this helps but it might be another data point.

I have recently discovered that the Uniden DECT 6.0 wireless phone in our bedroom causes the C1 sitting next to it to drop MyStreams audio quite often, usually as I'm enjoying the soothing music of my wake-up alarm, causing it to rudely switch to the Beep beep beep alarm sound. Moving the Chumby further away seems to have resolved that, although it's only been a few days so far so I'm still testing that solution out.

Songmaster, it seems to take longer than a few hours for pandora to exhibit this problem in the cases I have seen. It'd never happen in three hours.

55 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-07 07:02:32)

Again this morning the Chumby Classic had the "still listening" popup on the screen after I left it playing pandora all night.
Maybe I'll try that with the Infocast 3.5 tonight. I have never seen that on an Infocast 3.5 but maybe it's got it now.  A change Pandora made.

On the I3.5 are you leaving it on the Pandora screen, or are you exiting to some other screen while leaving the music playing?

I leave it on pandora.

What happens if you *don't* leave it on the Pandora screen?

59 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-07 18:38:46)

Duane wrote:

What happens if you *don't* leave it on the Pandora screen?

I'll give it a try.   I have it on space clock right now, it's been playing pandora for about 4 hours.
BTW, I like the pandora screen, tells the name of the songs, and you can thumbs down anything you don't like, so I leave it on that.  I can also turn the volume down if the phone rings, which though not a problem with the Infocast 3.5 with the volume dial, the CC has only a touchscreen. 

BTW, there is a metal rivet on the right side of the chumby classic. Does that metal piece have some significance?  A capacitance control?

60 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-08 22:10:49)

Ok, I left the Chumby Classic on space clock with pandora playing, and it just quit.  It took a few hours.
Space clock still there. I didn't see it reboot, if it did.

Space clock in a test channel all by itself.

The metal rivet was there to hang the charms.

There's also a magnet on the other side.

Duane wrote:

*blink* really? I never knew!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Steevo wrote:

Ok, I left it on space clock with pandora playing, and it just quit.  It took a few hours.
Space clock still there. I didn't see it reboot, if it did.

Space clock in a test channel all by itself.

I left the chumby classic playing pandora overnight, with space clock on the screen.
This morning pandora is not playing, space clock is still there.

So Pandora quit overnight on the CC.

64 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-08 07:30:29)

Well, now this is interesting. 
I pushed the button on top of the Chumby Classic, I was going to restart Pandora. 
I get the menu screen.
I clicked music, pandora was already selected, clicked go to.

The screen says "Loading Pandora Radio..."
It never ends.   

The close button works, but then I am already at the music screen, and pandora is again already selected, I click go to, and I get the same "Loading Pandora Radio..."  Forever.  It never loads.

I clicked Close, and I this time selected Iheart Radio.  It never loads. Same thing.
"Loading iheartradio..."
Still there.  Never loaded.

I clicked done, the music menu was dismissed, I was back at the main menu.  Clicked music again, pandora is selected, click go to, and it never loads.

I just turned the Chumby Classic off and on with it's back button, it rebooted. Downloading control panel, authorizing.
Space clock started. 

I pressed the top button, selected music, this time nothing is selected.  I click pandora, it gets it's gray selected state, and click go to. 
It's now playing.

After Pandora quit and the space clock was on the screen, it was not possible to restart the music in at least the two players I tried until after reboot.

Duane wrote:

Charms. A feature in need of a need.
I always wondered who would think that was an important feature. 
I suspect only Bunnie.

No, that wasn't any more bunnie than anyone else.

The general idea in the early days was to downplay the whole "electronic gadget" thing - hence the friendly name, the use of unusual material for the housing, the linen bags, the charms, etc.   The charms in particular came from the phenomenon of people (mainly in Japan, but spreading at the time) attaching similar things to their phones (do a GIS for "phone charms").

We wanted to encourage folks to personalize their devices, and/or use the charms to decorate other things.

We were experimenting with other "kits" for customization - googly eyes, rhinestones, foam lettering and face parts, etc.

The Infocast 3.5 will be playing pandora overnight while displaying space clock, I will report back.  I did this test on the Chumby Classic, and Pandora still quit.  Tomorrow we will know about the Infocast.

68 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-09 07:12:14)

This morning the Infocast 3.5 had quit pandora overnight, and the space clock was on the screen.
I clocked the top button, selected music.  Pandora is already selected, I clicked it and it started playing.

The CC was also playing pandora overnight, with the pandora screen on it, and it has the "are you still listening" popup.  Clicking that, it starts playing pandora again

I'm using a few of the Chumby charms on tiny flash drives these days... it was really fun to have the TV charm on the drive that I use to flash dev firmwares on RokuTV prototypes smile

So to recap, the Chumby Classic when playing Pandora with Pandora on the screen does often put the "are you still listening" popup on the screen. 

If the space clock is on the screen, the popup does not load visibly and Pandora appears to just quit.  Space clock remains.

If the Pandora screen is on the Infocast 3.5 the popup does not appear but Pandora does quit.   

If the space clock is on the Infocast 3.5 screen and Pandora is playing Pandora quits, as before.

All three of my Chumby 8s are having the "Pandora Problem". Plays for an hour or so then resets.  Has been happening since the new control panel was downloaded. Always worked before.......

I played Pandora all night last night on my C1 (a total of 13 hours) - it had the "are you there" alert, and resumed properly when I dismissed.

I had logging turned on so I could see what was going on if it crashed, but it didn't.

I'll try to repeat with an I3.

One thing I *did* notice was the when a song was prematurely ended by Pandora, and the memory usage went up slightly  This might be an issue where if you have an unstable network and songs get stopped or Pandora terminates it, it might be leaking memory for some reason.

For those interested in logging to perhaps catch this:

1) Turn on SSH on the device and log in
2) Add a USB dongle with a *lot* of empty space
3) On the device, stop the Control Panel with "stop_control_panel"
4) Relaunch the Control Panel with "chumbyflashplayer.x -i383 -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf &> /mnt/usb/log &"
5) Play music

If the Flash Player quits or crashes, it should not restart it, and we should have a log of the failure.

Duane wrote:

I played Pandora all night last night on my C1 (a total of 13 hours) - it had the "are you there" alert, and resumed properly when I dismissed.

Duane,
I imagine you had the pandora screen displayed.  If you do the same with the space clock displayed pandora will likely quit on the C1.  It does on my Chumby Classic.

The I3 always quits, no matter what.  I have never seen the still listening prompt on an I3.

Playing on the I3, pandora now quits quite frequently, in about 3 or so hours. 
They are doing this intentionally and they are stepping it up.

I've been playing Pandora on an I3.5 for 4.5 hours, with logging enabled.  Will leave it playing to see how long it goes.