Topic: basic questions about money

I have two questions about flash and the chumby.

1.  what version of flash does the chumby run?

2.  how much does it cost.

(my brother has expressed interest in flash and I thought he would like it for his birthday)

Re: basic questions about money

Hi Sevc,

Chumby's run the Flash Player Lite version 3.0 (currently very new).

Widgets for the Chumby are developed for Adobe Flash Lite 3.0. Flash Lite 3.0 has a feature-set based on desktop Flash Player 8.

You don't *need* Adobe Flash to author widgets, since there are other tools that exist, however that is the tool that most Flash developers use. You can get the current price of Flash at the Adobe website: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/.

While the chumby runs Flash Lite, it's actually a fairly normal Flash Player, and will run content most created for Flash 8 and earlier. It's not necessary to specifically publish for Flash Lite 2 or Flash Lite 3 in the Flash development tools unless you plan on using the features specific to Flash Lite. Most of these features are designed more for mobile phones and thus don't apply to chumby devices.

Keep in mind that you don't need to know anything about Flash to use Chumby, only if you want to develop widgets. There are already a staggering amount of widgets that already exist, and I'm sure many more to come!

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Chris