26 (edited by Steevo 2014-08-25 19:42:55)

Re: Pandora quits

Ya know, I have pandora continuously playing here on my desk.

I never use any widgets.  The only time I see any is after pandora quits, and for the last year I had Iheartradio on that same I3 for months with never an issue.

Not even space clock.

27 (edited by Steevo 2014-08-25 19:20:40)

Pandora now quits at least a couple times a day, when I started this thread it was maybe once a day. Now, as many as three times.  It was paused (I think), it just quit the third time today.

I see this happening with only one widget on channel. Just stops and sometimes back to clock.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I think it must be a memory leak of some kind.  I've had it quit to the built-in no-widget clock a few times.  A reboot fixes it

30 (edited by Steevo 2014-08-26 19:58:04)

Well, now this is very interesting.
I was sitting here, and an announcement played on the chumby,
"Upgrade to the ad free pandora one now".   A voice saying it, as it was rebooting into widgets.
I swear, the message was playing as it said 'initializing".

Could they be causing it? 
It's a conspiracy!

I have a paid Pandora account. Perhaps that is why Pandora does not quit for me. Or maybe Pandora just doesn't like Steevo.  ;-)

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Maybe, but I'd still like to see if there are logs that might show the problem.  If Pandora is doing it.   

We know on a pc they sometimes send you a message "Still listening?"

Part of their bandwidth control.

I hear the commercial to upgrade to Pandora One but it keeps going. Wonder if the quit comes up for non-subs to Pandora sometimes. Just a quirky thing to accommodate bandwidth for Pandora. I just notice it is not running music and I just restart and seems to work for a while.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I have only heard that ad to upgrade for a short while.  Months went by and I never heard that.  Until just very recently.
And then, pandora didn't used to quit either.

35 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-01 07:28:14)

I left the chumby classic on pandora paused for three days, I returned, clicked play and it's playing.
It's been playing without error for a couple of days now.

As you may recall the other one was an infocast 3.5.  Hmm.

Duane wrote:

The current theory is a Flash Player memory leak that happens *between* widgets, nothing specific for Pandora.  This probably didn't manifest itself before widgets were restored because there was just the one widget that never exited, so no leak.

Chances are this issue actually dates back to the Chumby days.

One way to test this theory is to run a channel with a single widget and see if that helps.

I am still having pandora quit often.
How can I test this theory, since I have had no widgets at all on the Chumby Classic, it had only space clock. It has more now since I registered it. 

But I can make a channel on the I3.5 with only space clock, lets say, and run pandora to see if it quits.  To test the theory.

Steevo wrote:

I left the chumby classic on pandora paused for three days, I returned, clicked play and it's playing.
It's been playing without error for a couple of days now.

As you may recall the other one was an infocast 3.5.  Hmm.

I went back to using the I3.5 on my desk, and it does quit like before.
I will be making a channel as Duane described.  To test.

38 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-03 16:03:30)

OK, I made a channel called TEST with only space clock in it.
Told it to play forever. 

So I guess it won't change widgets at all, since it's playing forever.
Not that widgets playing, changing or not happens if I leave the thing on pandora permanently, but maybe the widgets are playing while music is on the screen?  I don't know, I suppose that could be.

I did a reload on the i3.5 and the channel is there.
I ran the channel then selected music, pandora.
This has been quitting after a few hours, so we will now see. 
This will be a good test of Duane's theory.

I came home and the unit was playing the space clock, I had left it paused on Pandora.
So the channel has only one widget, space clock.  Told it to run forever.

I guess that's not it.

OK, in summary - when playing Pandora:

1) The Insignia 3.5" device will eventually do a Control Panel restart
2) The chumby Classic will play continuously.

Is that correct?

Can you provide the software/version numbers for both devices?

It seems to be that way, but the test of the cc was not exhaustive

Where are the software versions?  I looked in the info screen.

In the Chumby Info screen, its the "SW" number on the second line.

Oh, I see.
CC   1.7.2
I 3.5  1.0.7

OK, those look sufficiently up to date (CC is actually up to 1.7.3, but not an important update).

Next test is to see if the C1 fails as well.  I use a C1 at work to listen to Pandora and haven't see this issue.  Has anyone else?

45 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-04 10:53:04)

Duane wrote:

OK, those look sufficiently up to date (CC is actually up to 1.7.3, but not an important update).

Next test is to see if the C1 fails as well.  I use a C1 at work to listen to Pandora and haven't see this issue.  Has anyone else?

I have a leather chumby classic, not a C1, if that's important.
The only *real* chumby I have. 

The rest are all infocast, a function of all the liquidators getting returns from bestbuy in this area.

Unless you want someone else to test with a C1. Which I don't have.

Yes, it would be the test that would show that it's something specific to the I3 - the C1 is nearly identical hardware.

If it fails on I3 but not on C1, that will be a *big* clue as to the cause.

I have a leather chumby, I understand it is not a C1.

Correct - we need someone with a C1 to try the same test.  I played Pandora for a few hours on my C1 with no failures, but I'm too close to the issue.

The other good test would be playing Pandora on an I8.

I've been talking with some of my Chumbian colleagues and we have another theory about what's happening - I'd like to see what the results are of such tests to confirm.

49 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-05 07:28:56)

I left Pandora playing on the CC last night, and this morning there is a popup message
"Are you still listening?
I clicked the button and it resumed playing.

I had left it on pandora but paused for several days and this never appeared.

This is their bandwidth management, and I never saw that in months on the I3.5. 
I did witness the I 3.5 quit before my eyes and resume widgets.

So I think that's the problem, that popup does not work on the I3.5, but it does on the CC, and this likely causes the app to quit.

The other thing that is still to be determined is whether the playing time limit is being enforced on Chumby for non paid accounts.  I never saw any sign of that on the I3.5, but it may well be enforced on the CC, maybe part of the authentication on the I3.5 doesn't work right. 

FWIW, if that turns out to be the problem I'd be careful not to fix that too well.  Heh.

50 (edited by Steevo 2014-09-05 14:35:54)

OK, I take it back. 

The Chumby Classic was playing pandora since this morning when I unpaused it.

It just quit to space clock before my eyes.  It's on the test channel that contains only space clock playing forever. 

It said authorizing, etc.

Does this either prove or disprove any theory?