Topic: Partnership to Purchase and Operate

We are very interested in forming a partner to purchase and operate the Chumby service.

What would be the next step, does anyone have the contact information?

Does anyone know the average monthly costs for the bandwidth?

Does anyone know the number of registered users?

We also welcome reply from those interested in becoming part of the partnership process.

Re: Partnership to Purchase and Operate

I personally purchased the Chumby Service, along with all of the source code, copyrights, trademarks and remaining physical assets from the assignee, and operate it under a new company, Blue Octy LLC.  I was a founder of Chumby and the CTO while it was operating.

The current limited service is running from two server instances hosted at Linode, however, a full service would require a bit more.

As of this posting, there have been 73,457 unique devices that have used the limited service since it was activated in February, which  are a mix of Chumby- and Insignia-branded devices, smart TVs and Android clients.

So, who are "we"?

Thank you for the reply.

Is your current plan to continue to operate the service or would your be interested in selling the service (all assets)?

Would perhaps suggest sending an email to us to communicate further as we don't normally enter into discussions in an open forum.

Bababooey wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

Is your current plan to continue to operate the service or would your be interested in selling the service (all assets)?

Would perhaps suggest sending an email to us to communicate further as we don't normally enter into discussions in an open forum.

I think the chumby family would be very interested in who 'we' is, and you should be courting us, not just Duane, because without us, you have nothing.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

5 (edited by nathanm 2013-08-09 08:59:34)

What I'm interested in is why you'd want to buy Chumby's assets anyway. It's extremely hard to monetize any service by advertising, and it makes people annoyed (As Chumby learned when they deployed ads in 2011). Also, as the vast majority of users run 3.5" devices that don't have web browsers, it's kind of hard to get click-throughs. Also, there would be a pretty big uproar if Duane wasn't included sonehow or if the current devices wouldn't be supported. All I can say is, the best of luck to you.

EDIT: After a quick google search, I wonder what the executive producer of the Howard Stern show would want with Chumby. bababooey.com

If you're interested in the economics of the old system, the information is here.

Things have changed a bit since then - I embarked on an analysis of the old system and was able to reduce the monthly cost to somewhere around $2.5K/month before retiring it.

All that's left of the old system is a hibernated EC2 instance of the SVN archive, along with the associated EBS volume, and snapshots of the main database parked on S3.

The economics of Blue Octy LLC are $150/month in hosting, $250/month in storage of physical assets, approximately $300/year for domain names, $800/year in state taxes, and probably another $300/year in misc expenses.

Hey everyone, please don't jump on these guys, whoever they may be.

This is just an inquiry at this point.

As to physical assets, what I have is about 2 dozen monitors, about a dozen TVs (both smart and dumb), about 30 "new" chumby 8s in original packaging, probably about 2 dozen refurb chumby 1 devices, maybe a dozen or so refurb chumby Classics , boxes and boxes and boxes of parts, about a dozen servers, maybe a dozen or so desktop and laptop systems, a couple of iMacs, and misc office equipment.

Technically, I also own all of the steel tooling for the device plastics, which is all sitting in a warehouse in China somewhere.

I am very easy to contact - you can do it through the forum, or my email address is my username here, with the domain chumby.com

Bababooey wrote:

We are very interested in forming a partner to purchase and operate the Chumby service.

What would be the next step, does anyone have the contact information?

Does anyone know the average monthly costs for the bandwidth?

Does anyone know the number of registered users?

We also welcome reply from those interested in becoming part of the partnership process.

Is it just me or if someone was really interested in purchasing "Chumby", wouldn't they have already done their homework and know all there is to know about the company?

Also the nom de plume Bababooey is known to "prank" people by pretending to be someone they are not.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Well, it's hard to do some of that homework without the access I have to the systems.

In any case, I know enough about who it is that it's unlikely to be a prank - I'm really not sure what the point would be if it were.  It's not like I'd be putting a down payment on a Ferrari or something.

I don't know, maybe one of these?

http://cars.minimodelshop.co.uk/picture/Mattel-T6263/ferrari-599xx-diecast-model-car-mattel-t6263-p.jpg

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

13 (edited by nathanm 2013-08-09 17:47:46)

From what I know about this person already, I have constructed a portrait of what the buyer may look like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Who_is_it.png

Bummer of a birthmark.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Bummer of a birthmark.

spit take