Topic: Local Info widget

Saw on repaired widgets thread that Local Info was fixed.  I installed it on my defaults channel and it worked initially ( 3-4 loops) but now it keeps asking for the zipcode each time it displays as it does when you first add it to a channel.  Mine is in the default channel listing.

Re: Local Info widget

If this a 3.5" device, then there is going to be a Control Panel update for those devices soon to address some things like this.

3 (edited by adam 2014-07-27 12:24:16)

Thanks for the report. That's a bug I did attempt to fix, specifically for 3.x hardware.

On what hardware did you observe the bug?

Tried to reproduce on 3.5 and Opus but have not had success.

The steps I am following to reproduce are:
1. add Local Info to channel that contains at least one additional widget
2. configure Local Info zip code
3. let the channel cycle a handful of times

If you have any additional info that might help me reproduce the bug (or are able to capture a log) I would be happy to investigate further.

4 (edited by Steevo 2014-07-27 15:12:54)

I just tried local info on an infocast 3.5, and the widget works, but when I click the cars icon which I presume is supposed to load the traffic map it chuggs a while and times out.  No traffic map loads. 

This could be because of the 45 second display time I have configured. 
I have just changed the display time to 2 min.

OK, that did not make a difference, the traffic map still does not load. Come to think of it I can't see that the channel changed, it still has the non working tivoby beta and on chumby.com that is not in my evening anymore.

I changed channels, even power cycled the I 3.5, no difference.  The tivoby beta is still loading but it's not in the channel.  I couldn't believe it so I went back and looked again.

I guess I should post a separate post on this, if the channel does not change contents when I change it online....

Thanks for the report. Traffic map loads for me on 3.5 and C8, but I'll make a note to handle map load error more elegantly. What zip code are you using, if you don't mind?

The issue I reported is happening on a 3.5" device.  The one I observed the issue on is an Insignia device, but I do have a Chumby Classic also (beanbag style).  I had removed the widget before I took a look at that one.  I can try both again and update this posting.

I have a feeling that Duane has a good idea on what the issue is because I know he fixed the NOAA weather app that also prompts for a zip code and although I haven't had the behavior since he updated that widget I do see it "hang" for awhile when that app rotates around as if it is searching for a zip.

Thanks all.

clnairnick wrote:

I have a feeling that Duane has a good idea on what the issue is because I know he fixed the NOAA weather app that also prompts for a zip code and although I haven't had the behavior since he updated that widget I do see it "hang" for awhile when that app rotates around as if it is searching for a zip.

the noaa app is now directly querying the noaa servers for your current forecast every time it comes up, so there's a brief delay while they respond.

I'm good with that, myself, means that it's up to the minute, and not cached somewhere.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Hi:--- I am having trouble installing the NOAA(US) app with a Florida zip code. It will take the zip code in preview mode, but when I requested to enter the zip for loading the app--I get the message server busy? I am not sure what I am doing wrong the other apps loaded fine. If it matters I have the 8" Infocast.

Thanks--

Hi:--- I am ---- still having trouble installing the NOAA(US) weather app with a Florida zip code. I can load the zip code in preview mode and get the weather, but when requested to enter the zip for actually loading the app--I get the message:-- server busy try again later? Is anyone else having trouble with this app? I have the  I8 Infocast hardware..

Do other online enabled apps (e.g. Local Info) work? How about Yahoo! Weather, or AccuWeather?

what zip code?  (most work, perhaps there's a problem with yours in particular.

There's an issue with putting the zip code into the config on the site vs doing it on the widget itself which works.  We're fixing it.

NOAA config on the site should be fixed now.

H there:    I am ---- still having trouble installing the NOAA(US) weather app with a Florida zip code. I can load the zip code in preview mode and get the weather, and I no longer get the server busy message try again later on the site-- but the app does not show up on my I8. It does show up in my apps on the web site. I have tried removing and reloading the app as well as rebooting my I8 several times--still no go-- Is anyone else still having trouble with this app? ..Suggestions?

I'd be happy to try it here, if only I knew what zip code you're using, it works fine on all my chums here with my zipcode.

Sure--my zip code is 32608. I have tried it for 32601 as well. Yahoo weather is working for me, along with the digital clock, calendar and NOAA satellite map of the US.

I have the infocast I8, and am running everything in the default channel,  if that matters-----Thanks

I told mine to check, and it says it's rainy and 80f.  let's see if it remembers it the next time around..

you are using this one, right: http://www.chumby.com/guide/E3791136-9A … 8AA/widget

try adding it in another channel, maybe your i8 is stubbornly refusing to pull down an new channel listing.

I just added it to my Infocast 8 using zip 78758 (north Austin, TX), and it seems to be working fine.  The initial data load on starting the widget seems to take about five seconds, which seems a bit long.

OK --I created a new channel. That did the trick, the NOAA (US) weather is working for my zip code now --Thanks !!

unwiredben wrote:

I just added it to my Infocast 8 using zip 78758 (north Austin, TX), and it seems to be working fine.  The initial data load on starting the widget seems to take about five seconds, which seems a bit long.

it's currently going out and pulling down the current conditions and forecast from noaa directly, instead of using a (possibly old) cache somewhere...

a few seconds is worth getting brand spankin new data, in my opinion smile

of course, I'm used to it with the wunderground widget that pulls data from their local citizen contributed weather stations...

Oh, I appreciate it... just was wondering if there was some optimization with regards to feed size that might help or if the delays were all on the NOAA side.

pretty sure they're just slow.