Topic: C8 coming out of night mode in the middle of the night

I have a strange problem.  I have an alarm that sets my C8 to go to night mode at 10pm.  In the past couple of weeks, twice, my C8 has come out of night mode in the middle of the night.  I wake up to the bright light of my C8 cycling through the apps in my channel.   I have an alarm set to wake me up at 6am, and another alarm set to turn night mode off at 8am.

Once I re-enable night mode, it works fine the rest of the night.

Any ideas?

Re: C8 coming out of night mode in the middle of the night

Did it again last night....woke up displaying my channel at 2:08am.  Any ideas?

I am reviving one of my dead topics...Last night, my chumby 8 was in night mode.  Then I noticed it reloading the control panel, then showing my channels.  This is how it is coming out of sleep mode.  What would cause my chumby to randomly reload the control panel?

kgeissler wrote:

I am reviving one of my dead topics...Last night, my chumby 8 was in night mode.  Then I noticed it reloading the control panel, then showing my channels.  This is how it is coming out of sleep mode.  What would cause my chumby to randomly reload the control panel?

Any chance you had a small dip in your electricity? That is the only time my Infocast 8 (running Chumby 8 software) ever took itself out of night mode.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I don't think so.  I have a UPS hooked up to my main PC and the log shows now power outages or spikes.

If my wifi connection drops, when it comes back on, will that reload the control panel?

Of course, you don't actually need to run zurk's firmware just to capture Flash Player logs.

You can just do:

stop_control_panel
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf -l383 -L1  2> /mnt/usb/log

If the Flash Player crashes, it would be near the end of this file.  These types of files can get quite large over time, which makes it rather odd that zurk's firmware would always do this, if indeed it does.

Of course, if it's indeed a power failure, nothing will log that.

Thing is, it is random, but usually happens about once a week.  If I do this:

stop_control_panel
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf -l383 -L1  2> /mnt/usb/log

will the file get too large?

Yeah, it will - but if the USB drive has a few GB free, it should fit.  You can probably omit the "-l383" part, since that turns on full debug mode.  You might be able to see what happens without that.

Duane wrote:

Of course, you don't actually need to run zurk's firmware just to capture Flash Player logs.

You can just do:

stop_control_panel
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /tmp/controlpanel.swf -l383 -L1  2> /mnt/usb/log

If the Flash Player crashes, it would be near the end of this file.  These types of files can get quite large over time, which makes it rather odd that zurk's firmware would always do this, if indeed it does.

Of course, if it's indeed a power failure, nothing will log that.

Also, after I SSH into my chumby and type in the two commands, do I have to do anything to restart the control panel?

Assuming I wrote it correctly, and you typed it correctly, the Control Panel should be running.

11 (edited by kgeissler 2013-01-30 19:50:11)

Well, I entered the commands, then started my channel playing.  Lets see if I can catch Chumby waking me up.  After it happens and I have the log file, do I need to stop the logging?  If so, what is the command?

Well...I went to look at my chumby and it was frozen on a widget.  Here is the log file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7774535/log

Hmmm, nothing really interesting in that log - it looks like it hung in Earthcam for some reason.  Did the machine you were ssh'ing into it from go to sleep?

I wasn't 100% sure if I did it right.  I SSH'd and entered the commands.  A lot of stuff came on my SSH screen, but no command prompt, so I just quit the session.  Could that have screwed it up?

My C8 has just started doing this again (coming  out of night mode in the middle of the night)  Any ideas on what is causing this?

kgeissler wrote:

My C8 has just started doing this again (coming  out of night mode in the middle of the night)  Any ideas on what is causing this?

the c8 by my bed does that too, what I've seen is that the control panel seems to have a memory leak, and grows in size until it fails, then it is restarted, and the new cp doesn't realize it should still be in night mode.

my solution was to put in a cron job to kill the cp just before it went into night mode.

ve:/mnt/storage/psp # cat /psp/crontabs/root
0 3 * * * /psp/sync_time.sh
* * * * * /usr/chumby/scripts/flashplayer_watchdog
*/5 * * * * /usr/chumby/scripts/hosts-update
55 21 * * * pkill chumbyflashplayer.x

that last line there restarts the cp at 9:55pm

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

So I just SSH into my chumby and type those commands in?  Do I  just have to do it once?

ssh into the c8, and edit the file /psp/crontabs/root

all but the last line should be there, you can add it like this, if you want:

echo "55 21 * * * pkill chumbyflashplayer.x" >> /psp/crontabs/root

change the 55 and 21 to be a little before you go into nightmode normally.

minutes hours  (looks backwards)

diamaunt wrote:

ssh into the c8, and edit the file /psp/crontabs/root

all but the last line should be there, you can add it like this, if you want:

echo "55 21 * * * pkill chumbyflashplayer.x" >> /psp/crontabs/root

change the 55 and 21 to be a little before you go into nightmode normally.

minutes hours  (looks backwards)

Thanks for the help...I edited that file.  Lets see if it works.

did I say reboot afterwards? I probably should have said reboot the chumby afterwards smile

diamaunt wrote:

did I say reboot afterwards? I probably should have said reboot the chumby afterwards smile

LOL....well I guess I will try it tomorrow since it is past 9:55pm here now.  LOL

22 (edited by jasdempsey 2014-08-11 06:19:19)

How did the cron entry work out for you, @kgeissler?  I'm having the same problem in that every other night or so I wake up in the middle of the night to find that it's not in night mode.   I once recently caught the control panel restarting spontaneously (though I couldn't tell if it was just the control panel or a full reboot.)

I'm going to try the restart control panel cron job tonight, but I'm wondering if it worked for you?

Thanks,

--Jim--

jasdempsey wrote:

How did the cron entry work out for you, @kgeissler?  I'm having the same problem in that every other night or so I wake up in the middle of the night to find that it's not in night mode.   I once recently caught the control panel restarting spontaneously (though I couldn't tell if it was just the control panel or a full reboot.)

I'm going to try the restart control panel cron job tonight, but I'm wondering if it worked for you?

Thanks,

--Jim--

It has been working great.  It has not come out of night mode since.