1 (edited by rkt88edmo 2014-07-08 19:52:41)

Topic: Google Calendar widget won't take private XML

Can't get the widget to accept my private calendar XML.

Anyone else having this problem?

Long version:
I know how to get my private calendar xml link.  When I paste it into the widget settings I get "Unable to load the private address you entered.  Please try again."

Re: Google Calendar widget won't take private XML

OK, we'll file a bug to investigate

I hope this can be resolved smile

I repaired Google Calendar Viewer. Hope it works for you.

Thank you for your help. I will try it out once I can find it... it appears to have vanished from the drop down menus sad

The updated Google Calendar Viewer should now be public.

I just gave it a shot.  For me at least it works like a charm...

Perfect big_smile
I am so grateful for updating this for us.

Duane, thanks so much for getting this fixed. This is fantastic.

10 (edited by rkt88edmo 2014-08-22 14:13:14)

So do I need to remove the old widget and install a new one?  Calendar and Hackernews still not working for me, not sure what I need to do to get the app to update.

Did you use "Hacker News" or "[Y] Hacker News"?

The second is the one that got fixed - the first one is a third party app, so I can't fix it if it's broken.

Is the Google Calendar Viewer working or not working for anyone else?

Google Calendar Viewer is working fine for me. I had it before Chumby went off air, and it reappeared without me having to do anything.

I see that Google is retiring the older Google Calendar APIs in a couple of weeks (Nov.17) -- will this kick the legs out from under the Google Calendar Viewer?  (Which is now working a-ok!)

"As initially announced in November 2011, and reiterated in June of this year, the older versions (v1, v2) of the Google Calendar API will be shut down on November 17, 2014.

Any service dependent on v1 or v2 of the Google Calendar API will no longer work as intended. Developers should ensure any relevant services are utilizing v3 of the Google Calendar API prior to the shut down."

See here for the v3 API info:  https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/
of particular interest is this: "As of version 3.0, the Google Calendar API uses JSON data objects instead of the GData format. "
and here's their API migration guide: https://developers.google.com/google-ap … /migration

Yeah, this is very likely to affect that widget.  We'll take a look to see if we can support the new changes.  One issue is that Flash Lite is really bad at parsing large amounts of JSON since it's not supported natively.  Several of our apps use gateways to convert between JSON and XML.

Ok, we have a new version of the Google Calendar Viewer widget that use the new API completed and we're in the process of doing internal testing.  If it passes that, we'll make it public for testing by the community, and if it passes, we'll replace the current widget.

bravo!  Hopefully Google will slip their API shutdown date a bit, as they often do.  I'll keep an eye out for the public beta. (here?)

Ok, the beta version is public:

http://www.chumby.com/guide/186AC4A0-1B … 991/widget

Please try it and let us know how it's working, either in this thread or in the comments.

I am sorry to report that this new widget is not working for me. I was able to go through the authorization procedure and the Chumby showed that it was linked to my Google account. However, when the widget starts, it shows "Loading..." but nothing more than that ever shows up on the screen.

When I try to click on the wrench or the + sign, after about 10 seconds of "Loading...", nothing happens. If I click on the wrench within a couple of seconds after it appears on the screen, the widget does show that it is connected to my account.

Also, I tried changing the time that the widget is displayed, increasing it to 2 minutes, to see if that would help. It does not. But what is more puzzling is that changing the duration of the widget seems to make no difference. It still seems to get dismissed after 20 seconds. I have tried putting the widget in different channels. I also tried rebooting. None of those actions seem to make any difference.

I had been using ksteele's Google Calendar Viewer until that stopped working a few days ago because that met my needs better than the Chumby Industries Google Calendar widget. (One of my Chumbys sits on my desk at work, so it is nice to have my next appointment starting me in the face.)

Thanks for working on this problem Duane.

We've updated the app - please try again.

Update works fine for me. Is there a way to default to the agenda view instead of the calendar view? Also, no way to select more than one calendar to display?

HomerJayRI wrote:

Also, no way to select more than one calendar to display?

You could select multiple instances of the widget within one channel, with each instance displaying a different calendar.

Duane wrote:

We've updated the app - please try again.

Definitely an improvement. I am now able to link the calendar and have it load, displaying the monthly calendar view.

However, when I click on today's date, the widget seems to get stuck on "Loading...".

But, if I click on other days (yesterday, tomorrow, a random date from next month), I am able to load those dates, just not today.

Also, the widget display time now seems to be working correctly. I can successfully change the duration.

So we are 95% of the way there. Thanks.

A report on the beta version as of 19 November.  This looks like it was a lot of work, so: thanks!

The authorization scheme seemed to work ok, although it might be good to explicitly suggest pinning the widget until that step is completed (since if the widget rolls off, it starts over with an entirely new auth code, etc.)

I too was momentarily thrilled to see multiple calendar selection... until I saw that the checkboxes were really a one-choice radio button.  The old widget required multiple instances for different calendars too, but if there was some way, some day, to select multiple calendars and show the "union" of their events, that'd be a huge plus.

So would being able to select as the default display an even more compact "today's agenda" page -- that'd be more useful than event-editing, in fact.  BTW, a minor UI suggestion: for the day view add a short day designator before the date, e.g. "Wed Nov 19th 2014".  You could always loose the -th/-rd/-nd/-st if necessary to gain some space.

ANYWAY:  it does seem to be talking to my calendars (I have 8 on my selected Google account), but its acquisition of events is flaky.  Events are in some cases not seen at all on a given day ("no events"), or sometimes just one of several on a given day is seen and rendered on-screen for that day.  In some cases the "missing" event is placed on a different day, days or weeks 'off'.  (Maybe ALL the missing events are just misplaced... hard to say!).  My primary calendar (native to the Google account, not just subscribed) on first selection showed no events at all for the several weeks surrounding today, and there were actually quite a few.  After fiddling with some of the other calendars for a while, with the results noted above, I went back to the primary calendar and this time it showed several events around this week -- but again, in many cases, misplaced or sketchy (some in place, some missing, some misplaced).

I can't see a pattern of problems peculiar to JUST one-off events vs. scheduled events.  Interestingly, many  of the events that ARE shown at all ARE shown on the correct day, including some that have rather elaborate repeating rules.  So it's not totally random... it's CLOSE!

When an event is shown, it does seem to usually have correct detail info... but not always.  For example, I had a lunch appointment on Nov 12 from 12:45 to 2:15pm ; it's rendered here from my primary calendar TODAY Nov 19, "All Day".  But the title and location info are correct.  (Today also accumulated several other misplaced events from the past week or so.)

Oh, a minor formatting nit, too: single " characters in the event title and notes (maybe everywhere?) are rendered with an extraneous leading backslash like so: \"   I presume it's a literalizer that turns out to not actually be needed for " and so is rendered visibly.  Or something like that.

Thanks for the feedback - we're still working on it.