Topic: USCPSC Product Recalls

I can't get USCPSC Product Recalls to work on my Chumby One.  It works sometimes on Chumby 8.  This is a very informative and useful widget.  Thanks.

Re: USCPSC Product Recalls

strange. it works on my 8 and my classic... can you give any more info?

I believe the widget pulls info directly from the cpsc, maybe you're having iffy connections to them?

see if you can hit this link: www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/CPSC-RSS-Feed/Recalls-RSS/

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

The link opens up my RSS reader and I can read the feed.  The chumby one just shows loading.  It was broken before chumby's hiatus.  I deleted the widget and added it back with no luck.

try setting the widget timeout longer and see if it loads.

try sshing into the c1 and doing a

curl -i www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/CPSC-RSS-Feed/Recalls-RSS/

make sure your chumby can see it too.

I've bumped the version number, try a reload to see it works.

I extended the time to 45 seconds and restarted and reloaded.  It is still stuck on loading...  sad

As a test, I entered  www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/CPSC-RSS-Feed/Recalls-RSS/ into the chumby RSS reader widget.  When run, it says "network error"

I noticed the other day that the cpsc feed is a bit broken, or, at least, unusual.

most rss feeds only give you the last 20-30 items...

that one spits out things back to 2012, well over 500 items.  it may take some special coding to avoid choking on that flood.

I just set up a Yahoo! Pipe that truncates the feed with the first 20 recalls at http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_ … render=rss -- you can use that to limit the network fetch.

I'll see if I can update the app to use that feed.

OK, I've updated the app to use the Yahoo Pipe feed.  Reload your channel.

It's working!  Thanks everyone.

Likely dead again due to Yahoo! Pipes shutdown

Fortunately I saved the configs for all of the widgets using Pipes, so I should be able to get this one working pretty quickly.

The widget has been fixed again - set up a new feed on our servers.

Duane wrote:

Fortunately I saved the configs for all of the widgets using Pipes

I hope it is not a large number of widgets.

EDIT: I see in another thread Duane stated there were eleven widgets using pipes.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

This one is acting up again.

The USCPSC data feed is currently down, returning a 404.

There is a notice on the feeds page  (https://www.saferproducts.gov/RestWebServices/) that they are currently offline due to maintenance, and that it will return, so we'll let it slide for a while in the hope that it comes back.

However, we may have to accept that many such US government data feeds are very likely to go offline permanently over the next few years as agency budgets and staffing are cut.