26 (edited by smpcorp 2014-07-07 15:48:12)

Re: How to Use the Free Version of the Service

I'd be thrilled to make a one time payment of $36 for a year's subscription instead of paying $3 a month via credit card.  I think monthly payments are just plain silly.  I am holding off with my paid subscription for this reason.  Also, is setting up a Paypal account so difficult?  I think not.  I truly think you guys are shooting yourselves in the foot with this.

Please change the default clock of the new service back to the STNG LCARS clock that was used before the introduction of the new paid subscription business model.

I have resigned, relocated and repurposed my original softball chumby to be just a clock since the demise of the original chumby service and the LCARS clock was perfect for the new application.  I have no desire whatsoever to pay a monthly fee for a single clock and at this point I don't care to get my old widgets back.  The new default clock is not easily readable from across the big room it now resides in.

If you can't get the Chumby LCARS clock back without a paid subscription then it's time to put an old iPod Touch into service and retire the Chumby completely.

While I applaud the effort of a new chumby service, as expensive as this thing cost me new, adding a monthly pay service to what has become an 'end-of-life' product is the wrong move and it kills the whole spirit of the device!!!

I'm not sure I understand.

Your device was officially dead in 2011, when Chumby Industries went out of business.

At that point, if this had been any other product from any other company, it would have gone in a landfill.

The *only* reason it's been doing *anything*, including the clock, was because of two things:

1) From December 2011 through February 2013, the service was financed by a company that wanted to be unnamed and the systems maintained entirely by volunteers, including myself.

2) From February 2013 through July 1 2014, the servers were paid for by me *personally*, and maintained by me and a couple of volunteers, primarily forum users "Doktor Jones" and "diamaunt".

Whatever you may have paid for the device, it's somewhat irrelevant - that money went to someone else, not the entity paying for the infrastructure behind the current service.

I have bills to pay - I asked for donations as many suggested, and that did not cover the costs, as much as I appreciate the generosity of those folks that donated.  The only choices were to find a recurring revenue stream that covers the recurring costs, or simply shut the whole thing down.

--------

The spirit of the device includes "hackability" - and I have changed *nothing* that affects that.  If all you want is a clock, all you need to do is a simple "debugchumby" script on a USB to launch the LCARs clock on your device at boot.

Here's the URL to the LCARs clock:

http://chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2 … sclock.swf

You should be able to download that onto a USB dongle as "lcarsclock.swf" and create a "debugchumby" file with the body:

#!/bin/sh
chumbyflashplayer.x -i /mnt/usb/lcarsclock.swf

You won't have any music or alarms of course, since you're not using the Control Panel that comes from the servers at that point.

Duane, will you consider changing the clock face used in the free service in the near future or should I just consider it the permanent new clock face unless I subscribe?

I already said I am looking into solutions for this issue.

In the meantime, I have given you a way to show that clock.

Thank you Duane, I've grown accustomed to the LCARS clock which is perfect for my current minimal application of the device.  It is good to see that you are bringing back a chumby service but a paid subscription just isn't for me.  Wherever the money for the device went it is just after all a clock for me these days.

Duane wrote:

You should be able to download that onto a USB dongle as "lcarsclock.swf" and create a "debugchumby" file with the body:

#!/bin/sh

You won't have any music or alarms of course, since you're not using the Control Panel that comes from the servers at that point.

Does "debugchumby" need to have a file extension? I tried this but it didn't seem to look to the USB to boot up. Thanks.

You need to use UNIX line endings (linefeed, not carriage returns)

Duane wrote:

Above my pay grade I'm afraid. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the official goodstuff. Thanks for offering the temp solution btw.

the official goodstuff is already here wink

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Duane wrote:

--------

#!/bin/sh

Duane! Thank you so much for this!!!! This turned my info cast back to the simple clock I wanted!!! Thank you so much! I will be donating to the cause. Thank you so much!!!!

pummelcore wrote:
Duane wrote:

Above my pay grade I'm afraid. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for the official goodstuff. Thanks for offering the temp solution btw.

It's pretty easy to fix if you have the right program installed:

1. Search for on the 'net and install Notepad++ (of course, before you install anything, you should always do a little research to make sure it's legit, don't just take my word for it...).

2. Start Notepad++, go to the File menu, then Open the debugchumby file.

3. Go to the Edit menu, select EOL conversion, choose UNIX/OSX Format

4. Go to the File menu and Save.

That's it. In general, if you use Notepad often, I highly recommend using Notepad++ instead. It's a terrific tool and it's one of the first things I install on a new PC.

That's how I did it. Works great. I am curious though, what time server does it use when it boots into Debug?

chumbys query pool.ntp.org

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

40 (edited by dead-eye 2014-07-10 23:36:30)

I whole-heartedly agree with btchris regarding Notepad++.  I'm taking a class this summer in Web Development and the instructor has forbidden us to use any development environment other than Notepad, Notepad++ or some other "plain text editor".  At least with Notepad++ I can see when I forget to close a quote, because everything I type is purple.

*edit*
Sorry for going OT...

@Duane, thanks so much for all of the effort you've put into this.

Thanks - this worked for me too. Is there any way to add a parameter to the debug file that adjusts the brightness of the display?

btchris wrote:
pummelcore wrote:
Duane wrote:

It's pretty easy to fix if you have the right program installed:

1. Search for on the 'net and install Notepad++ (of course, before you install anything, you should always do a little research to make sure it's legit, don't just take my word for it...).

2. Start Notepad++, go to the File menu, then Open the debugchumby file.

3. Go to the Edit menu, select EOL conversion, choose UNIX/OSX Format

4. Go to the File menu and Save.

That's it. In general, if you use Notepad often, I highly recommend using Notepad++ instead. It's a terrific tool and it's one of the first things I install on a new PC.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way and I can't justify even the meagre 3 dollars a month for my Chumby anymore. It's not that it's too much, its just that for what I use my chumby for (just a clock) it doesn't make sense. Its with a heavy heart I need to move on and the details you've provided here are invaluable.

But before I do I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you putting your time, effort and cash into the Chumby, Duane. I hope the few years of subscription I paid for helped you cover some of the costs. You are one of the good ones and I wish I could keep up with this but alas its time.

Thanks again!