Topic: Chumby LIVES! Wonderful!

When I saw Chumby.com was coming back I dug mine out of the closet.  It had been there for at least a couple of years because of a hardware problem with the touch screen.  I did repair it, soldered a few things, but the screen just wasn't working. Figured I had bricked it.

Then Chumby.com went down and mine went into storage.

Today  it started to boot but needed a firmware update and screen re calibration.   Found info on the wiki, d'loaded  what was needed, used a USB dongle and CHUMBY LIVES!  WOO-HOO!

No problem connecting to my wifi and for a while it even *remembered my old channel*!  That doesn't seem to work now, probably because it's a pay service but that's OK!    At least the FM radio, clock and a couple of other things are working.  As soon as I make sure it's not going to crash, I'm in for the pay service!

Thank you so much.  While I AM NOT a Chumby wizard I do my fair share of hardware hacking.  I probably can't help much but if I can I will!

Re: Chumby LIVES! Wonderful!

awesome to hear!

I feel the same way about not being a wizard, but every time I dig into mine, I find some other neat thing about what can be done with it, or how it does things...

You can subscribe, since there's no long term commitment, and cancel if yours doesn't stick around, or you don't decide to get another one smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

I was actually considering trying to replace the screen but IIRC there was a broken ground and  something else that needed soldering.  couldn't find my solder pen so I went in with an 80 watt(!!) chisel tip Weller pen and was VERY CAREFUL!  When I put it back together the screen probably needed re-calibrated but I didn't know how to do that...special options and such...so it went in the closet.  Then the website went down and I forgot  about it until word of the relaunch.

Right now it's on the dresser beside my bed happily doing the wave sounds and ruining the clock and alarm.  I get up at 11PM to go to work.  Will subscribe to the new service when I get up tomorrow or Tuesday.  Lot's of work to do...sigh.

Chumby is one of the best gadgets ever!

prisoner6 wrote:

I was actually considering trying to replace the screen but IIRC there was a broken ground and  something else that needed soldering.  couldn't find my solder pen so I went in with an 80 watt(!!) chisel tip Weller pen and was VERY CAREFUL!  When I put it back together the screen probably needed re-calibrated but I didn't know how to do that...special options and such...so it went in the closet.  Then the website went down and I forgot  about it until word of the relaunch.

Right now it's on the dresser beside my bed happily doing the wave sounds and ruining the clock and alarm.  I get up at 11PM to go to work.  Will subscribe to the new service when I get up tomorrow or Tuesday.  Lot's of work to do...sigh.

Chumby is one of the best gadgets ever!

agreed.. and, nice job on that delicate touch with the huge soldering iron smile

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.