Topic: Relaunch Press Coverage

Here are links to the online press coverage of the Chumby relaunch.

Note that there's a *little* confusion out there - some stories give the impression that we're back in the business of manufacturing chumby devices, which isn't the case.  This then leads to some people more or less commenting that I'm some kind of idiot, which might indeed be the case, but at least not for that reason.

CNet
PC Magazine
SlashGear
Engadget
Ubergizmo
Sydney Morning Herald
Liliputing
Re/code
HNGN
Geeky Gadgets
socaltech
Gizmodo Australia
ASCII.jp
Endadget Japan
Engadget China
ComputerBase.de
HiComm
163.com
meltystyle
saydigi
adafruit
Hacker News
BestTechie
Internet Watch
Slashdot.jp
Silicon Republic
ZDNet
Newhua
gmw.cn
theNewTech.fm (podcast)

(diamaunt sneaking in with some he saw)
linuxgizmos
connectedly
theverge

My local paper actually talked to me about it:

San Diego Union Tribune

Local TV coverage - the clip has two stories, the second one is about us, about 00:50 in.  You can skip the one about LT selling his house, unless you're in the market.
U-T TV

if you see any more out there, please let me know and I'll update the list.  Enjoy - and don't let the comments bother you!

Re: Relaunch Press Coverage

Congrats!  You're certainly not an idiot.  And when it comes to Chumby (chumbies), you either "get it" or you don't. smile

Cheers.

I laughed at some of the forum discussions from people saying "just get a cheap Android phone or tablet instead". They truly do not get it. Sure, and Android tablet or phone can do a lot of what a Chumby can do, and some things a Chumby can't do. Those devices were not intended to do what a Chumby does and they do not do it as well. A desktop/tabletop information appliance/music player, that is purpose built for the job and designed to be hacked to fill the owners desires and run all day is how I see my Chumbys.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Duane wrote:

This then leads to some people more or less commenting that I'm some kind of idiot, which might indeed be the case, but at least not for that reason.

not to be *too* sycophantic, but, if you are an idiot,

YOU'RE OUR KIND OF IDIOT!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

The guy in the BestTechie article not only thinks we're making new products, but that they're slicker looking than the old ones.

???

Duane wrote:

The guy in the BestTechie article not only thinks we're making new products, but that they're slicker looking than the old ones.

???

Personally I do like the holographic display and "space sensor" so you just have to wave at the Chumby NG (nextgen) to turn off the alarm.

Duane wrote:

???

Maybe he saw the word "new" that Duane has in the Chumby descriptions and thought that meant new models. wink

Duane wrote:

???

well, ya know, they gotta spew some kinda drivel so people will read their blog and click on their ads so they can avoid real work...

but, no, your new Blue Octy Certified Design(tm) chumbys are clearly more fetching than the old ones!

even if they won't fit in a bloggers pocket.

Duane wrote:

???

Reminds me of something you said a few years ago.

Duane wrote:

I have no idea why people are able to form such absolute opinions with a complete absence of actual knowledge or information, but that's what blogs are for.

Well, obviously, I appreciate the coverage anyway.  "Any publicity..." and all that.

It's kinda nice to see all the "Har, har, I got a chubby" bon mots in comments again.  Sophisticated humor like that never goes out of style.

I put a link on the front page for anyone wanting to get more info directly from the source - so far it's been mostly "my blog/YouTube channel has nearly 100 followers so please send me a review unit".  The bigger pubs so far have been satisfied with cut/paste from my various postings.

So far, nobody's really noted that this is the probably the first time in tech gadget history that a product has been resurrected like this.

Wikipedia's Chumby page has been updated to mention the new service but it seems the page really could use some work. I am hoping someone more talented than myself will take on that task. Duane's statement above should be incorporated into it somewhere.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I admit to having tacked on that little 'we're back' sentence.

I'm not the one with the talent you're looking for, though wink

Duane wrote:

- so far it's been mostly "my blog/YouTube channel has nearly 100 followers so please send me a review unit".  The bigger pubs so far have been satisfied with cut/paste from my various postings.

So far, nobody's really noted that this is the probably the first time in tech gadget history that a product has been resurrected like this.

Sure, send one of them a beaten up and broken unit you have laying around and see what direction that review would go... big_smile

But then again, I would hate to see the wasting of any remaining units... sad

Duane wrote:

???

Well, now that my Chumby is working again I also think it's slicker looking than the old ones.