Re: Is it okay for a grown man to cry? :p

linden12 wrote:

Now, can you make the I Can Haz Cheezburger app work?  Ouch - that C8 thrown at my head really hurt ;-)

remember, most of the widgets are community supplied, the authors compiled them on their own systems, and kept the source code there, they just uploaded the ready to run widget to the chumby servers.

therefore, Duane can't fix those, it's up to the original author to fix it, and/or, someone to code up a replacement...

I've already heard about some widget authors going "it's back? cool!" and committing to update things.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Actually, the I Can Has Cheezburger app is an official Chumby widget, but the problem is that the people at the Cheezburger site stopped putting pictures in their RSS feed. Because of this, the widget stopped working.

well, I did say "most" wink I guess I should go look at the widget before mentioned that again smile

diamaunt wrote:
linden12 wrote:

Now, can you make the I Can Haz Cheezburger app work?  Ouch - that C8 thrown at my head really hurt ;-)

remember, most of the widgets are community supplied, the authors compiled them on their own systems, and kept the source code there, they just uploaded the ready to run widget to the chumby servers.

therefore, Duane can't fix those, it's up to the original author to fix it, and/or, someone to code up a replacement...

I've already heard about some widget authors going "it's back? cool!" and committing to update things.

Perhaps we ought to encourage widget authors to put their code in a Github repository so its backed up and available to others.

Johniac
Chumby8/Chumb1 & Android

Welcome back and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I Can Haz Cheezburger is working again - just refresh your channel.  Was a pretty simple fix despite the changes in the feed.

*hoooray* Thanks guys, for putting up the service again! Now it's time for tinkering again ... I should introduce my Chumbys to my raspbmc ;-)

Wierd thing with alarms happenning 3 days in a row since relaunch. 

I have a 7am alarm with final step 'Return to previous screen when done'

Well, turn off alarm, and get error message 'Channel not available' and it sits at the channel selection screen.

Also, 'Boston Traffic Cam' is a blank white page now.

I report 'em as I see 'em   smile

Duane wrote:

I Can Haz Cheezburger is working again - just refresh your channel.  Was a pretty simple fix despite the changes in the feed.

Duane, you must be using black magic or something. Zurk said that it was impossible to get working ("they pulled their feeds... no working feed anymore otherwise i would have kept it in."), but you have managed to do the impossible. I guess that's a metaphor for the last year or so.
P.S: Is the widget private now? I can't find it in the Animals category.

The ICHC feed was changed, it wasn't pulled - the URL was exactly the same.  The format of the individual RSS items was changed.

Sorry, it went private when I updated it, it's public again.

nathanm wrote:

Duane, you must be using black magic or something. Zurk said that it was impossible to get working ("they pulled their feeds... no working feed anymore otherwise i would have kept it in.")

and, or, the obvious, Duane's just better smile

To be fair, Zurk does not have the source code - for him to address the issue without it would have required some sort of transformation of the feed from the new format to the old format.  It probably could have been done with a Yahoo Pipe or some mechanism in his built-in server with some hosts trickery.

On the other hand, I hold the copyright for that app so failures of any unauthorized distributions get little sympathy from me.

Whoa!

Imagine my shock when my old chumby was showing something brand new today! I know I'm late to the party, but I don't think I could have paid the 3 bucks a month to support you guys any faster. This is amazing news. Thank you so much!

Lucca wrote:

Imagine my shock when my old chumby was showing something brand new today! I know I'm late to the party, but I don't think I could have paid the 3 bucks a month to support you guys any faster. This is amazing news. Thank you so much!

Fashionably late smile

To cut down on the load of the stub service, the frequency of devices reauthorizing on the servers was cut down, so there's a steady influx of devices, (and people) as their devices check in and say "hey, there's something new for me!"

there's still a lot of devices that checked in during June that haven't checked in yet, you are by no means the last smile

philhu wrote:

Wierd thing with alarms happenning 3 days in a row since relaunch. 

I have a 7am alarm with final step 'Return to previous screen when done'

Well, turn off alarm, and get error message 'Channel not available' and it sits at the channel selection screen.

Also, 'Boston Traffic Cam' is a blank white page now.

I report 'em as I see 'em   smile

Is there anyh way to report these?  Or did you note them?

So happy to see Chumby back up! Similar experience as other -- wait? Is that new clock. Holy sh*t!

When I was adding apps I got a little sentimental at the familiarity of this small thing. I loved it more than I knew!

Thank you thank you for taking on the monumental task and launching with such aplomb!

Long live, Chumby!

Congrats and Thank You!.....Love my little Chumby.