Topic: Is it okay for a grown man to cry? :p

Wow...

I walked through my kitchen and saw a widget running on the good ol' Chumby and was overwhelmed with memory and emotion.  What you all have done is unbelievable.  I think about Chumby and co.  almost everyday.  I tell my family and friends.  I even gifted a Chumby to my father-in-law and he thinks it's the best thing ever, and that was without widgets!

Anyway, thanks again.  I'm sure this was a huge endeavor.  Now I gotta brush off my copy of Flash and hopefully restore some databases. smile

I'm off to the Chumby store to show more support financially as well.

Long live the Chumby!

Cheers,
Chris - develephant

Re: Is it okay for a grown man to cry? :p

Yay!  Loving the happy vibes here today!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

+1. Completely agree...

I was just sitting at my desk, vaguely staring into space (or at something dreadfully important on one of the monitors) when I saw my desk Chumby decide it had to reset/reconnect the LCARS clock. This happens all the time, so I thought nothing of it...  until it came back showing a brand new clock.

This makes me happy.

What also makes me happy is the handy new automated 'deactivate a chumby' option, as several of mine were acquired after the shutdown.

Thanks Duane... and everyone else who helped make this happen.

-Bats

The chumby on my desk was one of Bunnie's test units, complete with a green "Dead Pixel?" tag hanging where the charm should be.  I've kept it on because, hey, how often do you have a gadget directly from the designer's desk?

It's so incredible to see all the old widgets come back.  I'd squirreled away all the various boot files, figuring I'd put it back together someday.  Now I don't have to!

Great work.  It's so rare to have an abandoned service like this come to life again.

My only request is to offer a discounted price (say, $29/yr) for a yearly subscription.

Wonderful day indeed. Besides our thanks to the amazing Duane, thanks to the other Chums who have stepped up over the past year or so with their own unique contributions. The Enterprise can now resume her mission without us hanging on. @cbreeze, seeing you back here on the forum is like icing on the cake.

GLORIOUS day indeed!
Can't thank you enough Duane (and those that helped him too) since you kept the dream alive and had a vission!
We need more "Duanes" in this world!
with much appreciation and thanks, Matt

Glorious seconded! Wonderful to see the Chumby that had been such a valued appliance brought fully back to life, and best of all to see that my old channels are populated as before, including most especially my carefully selected and specified weather displays. I used to have them cycling in a loop and I depended on them daily for planning my outdoor activities. Seing that loop cycling again is like being reacquainted with an old and valued friend.

Thank you Duane and crew for persisting when all seemed lost.

Happy days are here again!

YES!!!!!!!  I noticed the chumby in the kitchen had changed the clock app this morning but didn't have time to have a look, so it wasn't until I got into work and had a play with my work chumby and saw that we were back in action! 

Sooooo happy!  I see AccuWeather won't allow me to change the location, and my local weather radar app is completely broken - a few teething problems that I guess will get sorted soon!

It's about time I learnt flash light anyway - it will make a change from all of the procedural languages I write.

twizzle wrote:

YES!!!!!!!

It's about time I learnt flash light anyway - it will make a change from all of the procedural languages I write.

we are hoping that the renewed service will spark renewed interest in folks creating widgets!

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

WOW! is all I can say! WOW!

It has been an amazing wait but well worth it! My house is now a home! Did I say WOW?!?

I was amazed that I was able to log in with my old credentials. I am surprised I remembered them.

Duane, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Oh yeah, Thank you to everyone who helped to get the system back up and running.

By the way, did I say WOW?!?

YAY!! It's Back! and even the widgets I created back Classic Chumby was the only Chumby are still there and working!!

You guys rule.

yay, time to write some widgets!

There are 2-3 I still have laying around in half-done states since the implosion.

I'm going to have to update my haxe code to haxe 3, though.

15 (edited by robbiet480 2014-07-01 20:11:26)

Logged into my chumby forums account on my iPad for the first time in years to post this, after seeing the news on Hacker News. I only mention the iPad to illustrate how different the world is now, but, now that I am old enough to have a job, I can't wait to get home, get my chumby working and bring it to work to show off to friends and coworkers and proudly display on my desk. The feelings of nostalgia are immense right now. Chumby first got me interested in hardware hacking and software development, eventually leading to the awesome job that I have now.

Duane, I think this comment from Hacker News by georgemcbay sums up my feelings for you right now: "This sort of dedication (in addition to him being a great developer, hacker and all around swell guy) is why anyone would be lucky to work with/for Duane Maxwell."

Diamaunt, I don't know you, but assuming I stick around again, I can't wait to get to know you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Also, please give me a way to overpay you for service (haven't signed up yet, I assume there isn't a method already)

EDIT: last post was 2009!

Congratulations to all the people who made this possible, your efforts are appreciated!

robbiet480 wrote:

Duane, I think this comment from Hacker News by georgemcbay sums up my feelings for you right now: "This sort of dedication (in addition to him being a great developer, hacker and all around swell guy) is why anyone would be lucky to work with/for Duane Maxwell."

Diamaunt, I don't know you, but assuming I stick around again, I can't wait to get to know you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Also, please give me a way to overpay you for service (haven't signed up yet, I assume there isn't a method already)

I've been doing the janitorial work here in the background since sometime December 2013, when apparently, I complained about spam on the forums one time too many, and Duane said "here! you clean it up, and while you're at it, take care of the servers".

I'd say that 'georgemcbay' got it right, Duane is all those things, and I count myself lucky to have been able to work with him, and to help him to bring life back to our tentacled pals.

and, yes, you can sign up to active the widgets and help keep the lights on!

Was so happy to see my Infocast 8 prompting for an update today, and then noticed a new clock on one of my CC's.  Yay!

Happily subscribed, and then migrated two of them I got on ebay to my own account.  Now I've got to see if I can resurrect any others, and spend some time looking for nice apps that still work.

Duane - you're the man. Well done for keeping this service running. I have subscribed. Chumby lives....

Long time lurker (bought my Chumby back in December 2009), but this is my first post!  Just wanted to say how nice it is to see the Chumby service revived.  Well done to all those involved in bringing the service back to life.

O frabjous day!

Thanks Duane and the other helpers.

What a great day it is!   Thank you everyone who is involved in this project.  I've got a subscription and some new charms.   Its so-ooo good to see my Chumby active once again.    Now, if we can get the Chumbyland widget going .....  smile

Just woke up to the new clock! Bravo Duane! Thank you!!!

swami wrote:

Now, if we can get the Chumbyland widget going .....  smile

I *think*, in all of what went on yesterday, that i heard that Chumbyland was going to be brought back.

Just wanted to add my thanks to Duane and the others who helped bring back my Chumbys!  Definitely appreciate all of the hard work and dedication -  know there was a lot of time, money, stress and grief involved, and can't tell you how impressed I am that you saw it through.  Now, can you make the I Can Haz Cheezburger app work?  Ouch - that C8 thrown at my head really hurt ;-)