Topic: Chumby full app for android

I'm was hoping that this will return once (high hopes) chumby is reborn..
what is the plan for this app?

..and how are the overall plans coming along?

Re: Chumby full app for android

The top priority is to get the chumby and Insignia devices running, then I'll spend some time getting the Android app running again.

The real issue there is that newer versions of Android don't support Flash at all - in fact I don't think Flash is even in the Google Play store any more so this is really a losing game.

I cannot update the "pay" version of the Android Chumby application due to certificate problems (i.e. I don't have the certificate passphrase), but I do have the ability to update the "lite" (free) version.

ccchuck wrote:

..and how are the overall plans coming along?

the beta testing is coming along very nicely! 

Duane's an excellent bug squisher.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Duane wrote:

The top priority is to get the chumby and Insignia devices running, then I'll spend some time getting the Android app running again.

The real issue there is that newer versions of Android don't support Flash at all - in fact I don't think Flash is even in the Google Play store any more so this is really a losing game.

I cannot update the "pay" version of the Android Chumby application due to certificate problems (i.e. I don't have the certificate passphrase), but I do have the ability to update the "lite" (free) version.

Maybe the user could input their device's framebuffer url and just have it pull images from that framebuffer.

Duane wrote:

Android 4.1 (Jelly bean) broke the Flash plugin and Adobe decided to discontinue it rather than update it.

However, it is only the plugin for web browsers which was discontinued.  For Flash applications that run directly on Android instead of via a website, Adobe still provides Adobe Air which provides the Flash runtime for Android.  Air is not only available via Google Play but for Kindle users it can also be found in the Amazon App Store.

So while it is technically true the Android no longer supports the web browser Flash plugin, it is not true that there is no longer any Flash based runtime for Android.

By the way, links to the Google Play and Amazon App store have been removed due to the following error: "Too many links in message. Allowed 0 links. Reduce number of links and post it again."  But a search for Adobe Air in either should quickly show they are both there.  If you have trouble finding them, I believe I can still post links via QR Code.  :P

Unfortunately, the version of AIR for Android and iOS is Mobile AIR, which does not support the AVM1, which is used by most of the Chumby apps - in other words, AIR for Android will support Actionscript 3 (AS3) movies, but only the Chumby 8 supports AS3, and all but a few of the existing apps are AS1 or AS2.

chilinux wrote:

By the way, links to the Google Play and Amazon App store have been removed due to the following error: "Too many links in message. Allowed 0 links. Reduce number of links and post it again."  But a search for Adobe Air in either should quickly show they are both there.  If you have trouble finding them, I believe I can still post links via QR Code.  tongue

that's an anti-new-user-spammer 'feature'. once you've been around, a little longer, you can post links....

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.