1 (edited by SilverMarc 2014-05-23 06:11:14)

Topic: Clocks running 10 minutes slow overnight

We have two bedside Chumbys and a few days ago both clocks started showing time that's not correct. They both lose about 10 minutes overnight. Today at 10:00 am one showed 9:38 and the other showed 9:41. Restarting corrects the time.

Anyone else noticing this?

Marc Silverman
New York City
SilverMarc.com | Chumbian.com
MY POWER TEAM: Macintosh, iPhone, Chumby, Geocaching, WheresGeorge.

Re: Clocks running 10 minutes slow overnight

that's very strange.

what kind of chumbys, what sw revision?

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

3 (edited by SilverMarc 2014-05-23 07:25:31)

Chumby Classic, 2.8.86 on both.

Marc Silverman
New York City

That's the Control Panel version - the software version is on the Settings->Chumby Info screen.

It should be 1.7.2 or 1.7.3

One thing to try when it gets like this - go to the Settings->Time/Date screen and toggle the "Set Time from the Internet" checkbox.

6 (edited by SilverMarc 2014-05-23 20:29:18)

HW 3.7 SW 1.7.2. The "Set time from the Internet" has always had the Checkmark. It disconnects from the Internet sometimes and shows the generic clock, but then later it does connect again and the Star Trek clock returns.

I've had these for years and have never, ever noticed a different time on each (and different from real time) ever before, until a few days ago.

Marc Silverman
New York City

SilverMarc wrote:

HW 3.7 SW 1.7.2. The "Set time from the Internet" has always had the Checkmark. It disconnects from the Internet sometimes and shows the generic clock, but then later it does connect again and the Star Trek clock returns.

I've had these for years and have never, ever noticed a different time on each (and different from real time) ever before, until a few days ago.

Here is a quick photo showing different times on two Chumbys. The issue has not yet subsided.

http://silvermarc.com/images/ChumbyIncorrectTime.jpg

I am posting this in case it helps anyone get to the bottom of this. It's not a major issue, just an oddity that I'm sure will eventually be recognized by someone.

--Marc

Marc Silverman
New York City

Have you enabled ssh logins on either of them?  If you have then what happens if you ssh in and do "ntpq -n -c peer".  Also "grep -v '^#' /etc/ntp.conf"

On my machine, for example I get

chumby:~# ntpq -n -c peer
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
*199.217.118.169 216.171.120.36   2 u   59 1024  377   42.207   -2.296   0.637
+67.18.187.111   216.171.120.36   2 u  855 1024  377   56.059    2.765   0.782
-69.50.219.51    162.243.236.164  3 u  839 1024  377   83.494   11.125   0.295
+216.93.242.12   192.5.41.41      2 u  572 1024  377   18.163    2.613   0.728
chumby:~# grep -v '^#' /etc/ntp.conf

driftfile /psp/ntp.drift

server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org
server pool.ntp.org

This shows that NTP is nicely working and keeping the clock in sync (within <3ms different to most of them)

There once was a similar problem, but it was fixed several years ago. Perhaps this is somehow related?

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=3611

Christian wrote:

There once was a similar problem, but it was fixed several years ago. Perhaps this is somehow related?

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=3611

It doesn't look like that would have any impact, though.

Duane wrote:

Note that this patch is built into firmware versions 1.7 and later.  We consider this issue closed.

sweh wrote:

Have you enabled ssh logins on either of them?  If you have then what happens if you ssh in and do "ntpq -n -c peer".  Also "grep -v '^#' /etc/ntp.conf"

On my machine, for example I get

*199.217.118.169 216.171.120.36   2 u   59 1024  377   42.207   -2.296   0.637
+67.18.187.111   216.171.120.36   2 u  855 1024  377   56.059    2.765   0.782
-69.50.219.51    162.243.236.164  3 u  839 1024  377   83.494   11.125   0.295
+216.93.242.12   192.5.41.41      2 u  572 1024  377   18.163    2.613   0.728

driftfile /psp/ntp.drift

server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org
server pool.ntp.org

This shows that NTP is nicely working and keeping the clock in sync (within <3ms different to most of them)

I am not familiar with "entering" my Chumby... If I can do this using my Mac, I would give it a try. Is there a step-by-step in the Forum somewhere? I have used "terminal" on the Mac, if going in via ssh isn't something that I need physical tools to accomplish, I would give it a try.

Marc Silverman
New York City

here's how to start up ssh on a chumby don't miss the link to the hidden menu that it mentions wink

diamaunt wrote:

here's how to start up ssh on a chumby don't miss the link to the hidden menu that it mentions wink

Here is what I get when I ssh:

Lili-Whites-iMac-G5:~ liliwhite$ ssh 192.168.0.105 -l root
                                                    ,.....,                     
                                          .rchERQQQQQQQQQQQQQQp:                
                                .fQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQRQQQQQQQQQR              
                             hQQQQQQQRRRRMMZDEEbb00009999000bEZRQQQ             
                           QQQQRDb09ppppPPPPXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXPPPpbZQ:            
                          QQMbpPXSSSPpppPXXSSSXXXXXXXP99PPXXSSSXP0QQ            
                         QQ0XSSSShbQQMMQQZPXXXXXXXXPQQRRQQ9PXXXXXpZQ            
                        :Q9XSSXXhRF      EQpXXXXXXPR     .Q0PXXXXP0Q            
                        tQPXXXXSZr   ,    tQPXXXXSR        QpXXXXX9Q            
                        JQPXXXXXQ  7QQQQ,  Q9XXXSPQ   QQ   Q9XXXXX0Q            
                        :QpXXXSPQ   QQQQ   Q9XXXSpQ:      7QPXXXXXbQ            
                         Q0XXXS9QR        QRPXXXX0MQZ   ,QQpXXXXXXDZ            
                         RMPXSX9DQQ:    LQQPXXXXXpERQQQQQQ0PXXXXXXQr            
                         .QpXSXP0ZRQQQQQQZpXXXXXXPp0DMRZ0pXXXXXXSXQ             
                          QpXXXXP9EMRRRD9PXXXXXXXXXPPPPXXSXXXXXXSPQ             
                          QpXXXSXPPpppPXSSXXXXXXXXSSSSSSSXXXXXXXSER             
                         .QPXXXXXSSSSSSSSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZR             
                         RDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXSX0Q.            
             r9QQQQQQQQQQZpXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX0RQQY          
        .EQQQQQQQQQRRRRZ0PXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXPPPP9ERQQQD        
     .QQQQQQQRQQRQQQRM9PXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXhQQQZ990EMQQQ0      
   9QQQQQQQQMPtYLrirrrpPXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXSD:  .9QQE99bMRQQ:    
  hb.                 ZpXXXXXXbQMPXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXSpEPXXXXX9Q     .QQR00EMQQZ   
                    DQ9XXSXPRQP  ZPXXXXSPQEPXXXXXS9b2RPXXSX9Qf       FQQEbDRQQ  
                  iQQ9PXXPQQ:   1ZXXXXhZQ iMXXXXSXQ  pQpXXX0MQ         :QQQRRQh 
                 2QR9XXXQQ,    QQPXXXhRF  rQPXXXSQ    QDPXXPbQZ           7RQQQ 
                .QEPXhbQ:     QQpXXXhQ7   QEXXXS9b     QpXXX9MQ                 
                QRPSXQD      QQpXXXhQ7    Q9XXXSQ,     2QPXXPbQr                
                Q0XpQi      1QpXXSSQL    jQPXXSXQ       QQPXX9QM                
                QpMQ        QbXSSPQi     QMXSXS0Q        RQpPpRQ                
                QQU        tQpSSEQ       QbXSSSQU         YQD9RM                
                Q          QRPpQ0        QbXSSSQ            QQQr                
                           QMQQ          QMPShQF             :Q                 
                           QQ.           :QpPQb                                 
                                          QQQr                                  
                                           i                                    
BusyBox v1.6.1 (2010-02-09 16:39:15 PST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

chumby:~# passwd root
-sh: passwd: not found
ntpq: read: Connection refused
grep: /etc/ntp.conf: No such file or directory
chumby:~# 
Marc Silverman
New York City

well, you're in there.

ntp isn't running, but you should be able to start it like this:

ntpd -g -x -f /psp/ntp.drift

if that doesn't work, just do ntpd -g -x

also, could you send the output of:

chumby_version -h
chumby_version -s

it's possible the sw version you have doesn't have ntp set up.

diamaunt wrote:

well, you're in there.

chumby_version -h
chumby_version -s

No response for the first two queries:

Last login: Wed May 28 17:31:25 on ttys000
                                                    ,.....,                     
                                          .rchERQQQQQQQQQQQQQQp:                
                                          QQQr                                  
                                           i                                    

chumby:~# ntpd -g -x -f /psp/ntp.drift
chumby:~# ntpd -g -x
chumby:~# chumby_version -h
chumby:~# chumby_version -s
Marc Silverman
New York City

diamaunt wrote:

well, you're in there.

chumby_version -h
chumby_version -s

No response for the first two queries:

Last login: Wed May 28 17:31:25 on ttys000
                                                    ,.....,                     
                                          .rchERQQQQQQQQQQQQQQp:                
                                          QQQr                                  
                                           i                                    

chumby:~# chumby_version -h
chumby:~# chumby_version -s

After the above I tried the original queries again:

No association ID's returned
No association ID's returned
Marc Silverman
New York City

Could the distance from the wireless port have an effect? My wireless signal goes through a wall between rooms to reach the Chumby. (But this still doesn't explain why the slowness started recently and never occurred previously to about a week ago).

Marc Silverman
New York City

I'd suggest updating to the 1.7.3 version.

my classic has 1.7.3, and has configs so you can run ntp, and let ntp keep the chumby spot on time wise.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=46109#p46109

diamaunt wrote:

I'd suggest updating to the 1.7.3 version.

my classic has 1.7.3, and has configs so you can run ntp, and let ntp keep the chumby spot on time wise.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?pid=46109#p46109

Updated to 1.7.3. Now I do get results for the query. If it means something to you, let me know. Otherwise, I'll see if the upgrade corrects the clock slowness overnight tonight.

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2011-11-14 17:44:07 PST) Built-in shell (ash)

driftfile /psp/ntp.drift

server 0.pool.ntp.org
server 1.pool.ntp.org
server 2.pool.ntp.org
server pool.ntp.org

129.250.35.250  209.51.161.238   2 u   11   64    1   35.410  5115.15   0.031
 198.60.22.240   .GPS.            1 u   10   64    1   93.219  5145.66   0.031
 199.7.177.206   43.77.130.254    2 u    9   64    1   83.221  5148.91   0.031
 206.212.242.132 139.78.135.14    2 u    8   64    1   70.895  5189.82   0.031
Marc Silverman
New York City

OK, that's good.  It's only just started ("reach" value of 1) and so hasn't picked any server to sync to.  It's saying your clock is about 5 seconds wrong, but it should fix this.

ntp should do it's best to keep your clock accurate now.

we'll hope smile

what that all means is that your chumby is talking to those other listed servers, and asking it what time it is.

22 (edited by SilverMarc 2014-05-30 05:23:39)

Well, it's still running slow... Here is today's "chart"

Last login: Fri May 30 08:33:35 on console

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2011-11-14 17:44:07 PST) Built-in shell (ash)

162.243.72.74   209.51.161.238   2 u   18   64    1   23.110  7865.22   0.031
 198.55.111.50   216.229.0.50     3 u   17   64    1   69.185  7892.25   0.031
 192.241.226.180 206.117.25.20    2 u   16   64    1   89.722  7896.20   0.031
 208.53.158.34   206.108.0.132    2 u   15   64    1   45.183  7939.40   0.031
Marc Silverman
New York City

well, that's puzzling, it indicates that ntpd had died.

24 (edited by SilverMarc 2014-05-30 07:34:29)

diamaunt wrote:

well, that's puzzling, it indicates that ntpd had died.

Since it's happening on two Chumbys connected to the same wireless, it seems more clear that this is an issue on the ISP or the router rather than a Chumby problem.

Odd that the two times were perfectly in sync and stayed correct up until a week or so ago, so there must have been a change somewhere else. I also connected a Apple TV around the same time, but that stays in "sleep" mode most of the time. I'll try disconnecting that as a test, but I don't expect that to be the cause.

Anyway, thanks to diamaunt, sweh, nathanm, Christian, and Duane for helping with suggestions! I'll report back if/when I discover anything new!

-- Marc
   May 30, 2014 @ 11:33  AM

Marc Silverman
New York City

I'm having the same problem, it's been going on for a few months now and have been relying on my iPhone for my wake alarm. I just posted the issue in the software threads.  My classic chumby loses over 10 minutes of time though. When I get to it I'll ssh in. Just letting you know you're not the only one.