Topic: Power supply problem or dead Chumby One??

After yesterday's storms passed up the east coast I noticed my Chumby One was just showing the Chumby logo.  The power had gone out intermittently during the day from what I could tell so I just assumed it needed to be unplugged and plugged back in.   I did that and later noticed it was stuck on the screen with the circles but just about three random circles appeared.  I unplugged/replugged again and now it just flashes a white screen every few seconds.   Does this sound like a power supply issue or has it died?  I'd love some input.

Re: Power supply problem or dead Chumby One??

It is hard to know for certain, but it could very well be the power supply.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

whenever a c1/i3 doesn't want to boot up, my first thought is power supply issues. (given that I've had to repair my two and a friends third one.  if you're handy with a soldering iron, there's a video posted on the wiki about how to repair the power supply.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Thanks!  It looks like exactly what the Chumby was doing in the video linked at the wiki.  I'm not much of a techie but I can try...

If you need a new power supply they are available in the Chumby Store:

http://www.thechumbystore.com/chumby-on … ly-type-a/

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

@mar1an, the circumstances you describe are the same thing that caused my C1 power supply to die a couple years ago. I bet most of us don't think to plug our Chumbys into a surge protector. Any of you tech-savvy guys think that might be a good idea?

Can't hurt, but I believe that the c1/i3 power supplies got a batch of the bad capacitors that were going around a few years ago, unfortunate, but it affected a *lot* of things, not just the chumbys.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

mar1an, since you’re not much of a techie, I think it’d be best if you can simply buy a new power supply from the store. Since you don’t have a lot of soldering experience, it could be hazardous to say the least and you could damage some of the components as well. At times, when the pads gets damaged due to overheated solders, the PCB is generally rendered useless. Therefore, if you intend to use a soldering iron, please make sure you know about using it.

Thank you.  I did end up buying then new power supply and that took care of it.  I really appreciate all of the help given here.