Topic: Two observations about C1 and I3.5 my streams and WIFI

I recently swapped my bedside Infocast 3.5 for the Chumby 1, hoping for better WIFI performance. Fortunately I got it. Streaming radio on the I3.5 frequently dropped out. I would often have to restart the stream or my alarm stream would fail and give the error beeps. Since going back to the C1 it never fails. It seems C1 WiFi is better.
Also, while doing the swap I used winscp to copy the alarm file and My streams file across. After reboot the C1 reverted to having NO my streams they got lost somewhere.
After trying this 3times I ended up pasting the list into the C1 urlstreams in VI. Now all is well.

This might be useful to someone.

Re: Two observations about C1 and I3.5 my streams and WIFI

I have difficulties with streams through my C1 which can usually be fixed by rebooting it. My preferred local FM Radio station usually has much better sound when streamed rather than through its FM signal, but after a couple of weeks the stream dies after a few minutes, giving the dreaded beep alarm in its place. Reboot the C1 and streaming starts working again. My guess is that the system memory gets fragmented such that it can't receive the stream continuously without dropping packets, and rebooting clears that all out. If only one of the alarm clock options was Reboot instead of Power Off I could have it do that automatically, which would save a lot of early morning annoyance...

set up a cron job to do it

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

or an appliance timer. I used to have a timer on my wireless router.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

songmaster wrote:

I have difficulties with streams through my C1 which can usually be fixed by rebooting it..

i'd also suggest sshing in and doing a pkill chumbyflashplayer.x and see if it works after that, that'd help narrow it down to a problem in the control panel, or the os itself.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

It'll probably be a few weeks until it gets into that state again, I'll try and remember to do the pkill thing when it happens. Thanks!

So My Streams aren't working any more on my C1, but I now can't ssh into it — no route to host. I think I remember there being a known issue with the device no longer responding to arp requests after a while and I suspect that's what is causing this. Hmm, I wonder if I can manually add an entry to the arp table... done, and now ssh ... Success! I ran the pkill and now My Streams are working again.

If my alarm clock stream works properly tomorrow morning I think we can we've diagnosed that problem to the Flash player, and I should be able to set up a cron job to restart it periodically. The 'uptime' command reports that Linux has been running for 25 days, although I've been away for half that so the alarm streaming hasn't been used for all of it.

Thanks guys!