Re: Better late than never?

directive0 wrote:

Thanks Marcev, yeah that's what people have told me. I'm mostly stoked on it because it has an FM radio and my partner loves waking up to CBC radio, though she'll probably be upset that it's not the little leather guy anymore; he's moving to my desk at work.

Diamunt: I just bought a 10 dollar set of stickers for now, consider me a contributor!

Stoked for the future of these poor little doods.

Thank you for the donation! Donations are what make this all possible.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I ordered my eyepad cover today from cafepress- I'm sure my Acer will fit! Hopefully a good proportion of the price goes to blue octy. Duane,  there should be a note on the chumby homepage about cafe press.

gordonmd wrote:

I ordered my eyepad cover today from cafepress- I'm sure my Acer will fit! Hopefully a good proportion of the price goes to blue octy. Duane,  there should be a note on the chumby homepage about cafe press.

Thanks for the support - there is a note on the right side panel ("DONATE!"), but I agree it needs to be more prominent.

Yep, sorry. I'm blind!

gordonmd wrote:

Yep, sorry. I'm blind!

Hence the reason for the Eyepad?   wink

Just got my c1!

Woo! These things are zippy compared to the Classic. The radio receiver leaves much to be desired, however!

Whatever, I'm still stoked on it!

32 (edited by billyjack669 2014-04-10 12:42:51)

Wow, i have no issues with my radio receiver on my C1 or Infocast 3.5.  Both antennas are still coiled up and twist tied too.
WiFi reception on the other hand...  smile

Wifi is no issue, but my local public radio is pretty spotty until I uncoiled the antennae. Works pretty good now!

Now my classic can live on my desk at work, mua hahahahaha.

I'm on my second C1, and the radio did not sound great on either (intermittent static, mostly). But when our internet goes out, the radio sure sounds sweet no matter what!

Wow. You know, having these little guys I'm blown away.

How is it there is still a market for conventional alarm clocks when you can have something like a chumby. Everyone I talk to about them is like "You could just use your phone for that." But guess what, none of them do! Sure they might set their phone up as an alarm clock. But nobody wants to have to remember to put their phone by their bed, or plug it in, make sure the alarm function is operating. And most of the time whatever alarm system is installed on your iOS or Android phone either by default or third party is not nearly as flexible as the chumby. And despite all that, most of the people I know still have a conventional alarm.

Its a bit counter intuitive. Here we are walking around with smartphones, smart watches, smart fridges, smart TVs and yet small ancillary devices like alarm clocks still manage to be stoopid expensive and totally feature poor. Annoyingly bright blue backlit LCD panels, clumsy mechanical button interfaces, disjointed alarm controls. What happened?

Was the downfall of the original Chumby the symptom of a larger problem with consumers and their devices? Was it the iOS/Android revolution that lead to this?

I will buy another chumby before I ever consider another conventional alarm clock. These things are awesome.

these things, i've seen, and wondered too.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

directive0, I've been wondering that for years...

On a parallel (but yet completely different) track, I've also always wondered why more tinkering types haven't been all over the chumby market.  Along comes the raspberry pi and it's sold out and backordered for months and months.  95% of the projects out there for a raspberry pi are probably easily run on a chumby device that already has a touchscreen, speaker, and wifi.  Where were all these Pi peeps a few years ago?

That being said, I love the pi and have some projects on that device as well.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

directive0 wrote:

Wow. You know, having these little guys I'm blown away.

How is it there is still a market for conventional alarm clocks when you can have something like a chumby. Everyone I talk to about them is like "You could just use your phone for that." But guess what, none of them do! Sure they might set their phone up as an alarm clock. But nobody wants to have to remember to put their phone by their bed, or plug it in, make sure the alarm function is operating. And most of the time whatever alarm system is installed on your iOS or Android phone either by default or third party is not nearly as flexible as the chumby. And despite all that, most of the people I know still have a conventional alarm.

Its a bit counter intuitive. Here we are walking around with smartphones, smart watches, smart fridges, smart TVs and yet small ancillary devices like alarm clocks still manage to be stoopid expensive and totally feature poor. Annoyingly bright blue backlit LCD panels, clumsy mechanical button interfaces, disjointed alarm controls. What happened?

Was the downfall of the original Chumby the symptom of a larger problem with consumers and their devices? Was it the iOS/Android revolution that lead to this?

I will buy another chumby before I ever consider another conventional alarm clock. These things are awesome.

I have a few things to say about this. Honestly, I think that the chumby devices suffered from "KDE Syndrome", or having so many features that the user doesn't know what to use. I don't mind this, as I consider myself decent at computing (As opposed to being able to move a mouse around and be literate in my own language) but somebody's technology-illiterate mother won't know what to do with it. For example, it's not only the world's best alarm clock, but you can get the time, stocks, email, play games, read news and blogs, etc. Besides this, the advertisements just emphasized what it did, not what it could do better than other devices. For example, why would you need it to check the weather on your phone if you could look at the Chumby across the room? The only reason I only have one Chumby device is that whenever I have enough "funny money" saved up so I can get another one, something ALWAYS happens while I'm waiting for a good deal. The last time, the graphics card in my PC decided that spinning the little fan on top of it was too much work, and died. The time before, the battery in my iBook decided that even though it only had 37 cycles on it, and even though it was only from 2008 or so, holding a charge was too much work. The time before? My router died. You get the point, right? I do hope I can get another device, though.