Topic: Space Clock stopps widget cycling

Hello out there,
I put some widgets on a stick using profile.xml to add them to the actual channel with space clock. Unfortunately the cycling stops every time space clock widget is reached. I there a solution for that?
Regards, oliaros

Re: Space Clock stopps widget cycling

Not at the moment.  I will look into seeing if there's a way to allow them to cycle without increasing the server load.

thanx for the answer. I just would like to cycle through some widgets that call external webcams to display JPEGs. Do you think they increase the server load?

It would only increase the server load if the HTTP cache fills up and the device has to keep fetching the clock over and over again.

Unfortunately, webcams are big offenders since they tend to fill the HTTP cache.

thanks, Duane. Is there a possiblility not to fetch the clock at all?

Perhaps - an option might be that the device does not mix in profile.xml but rather uses it instead of the data delivered from the server.

This would require a Control Panel change and deployment.

If you want to avoid the space clock, you can edit your /psp/hostfile to redict the address

chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com

to 127.0.0.1, so the widget cannot get fetched from the server and is skipped. Unfortunately the control panel is downloaded from the same server, so you have to put the control panel on an usb stick so it is loaded from there and not from the server.

My /psp/host contains the following addresses:

192.81.128.27 www.chumby.com xml.chumby.com widgets.chumby.com content.chumby.com music.chumby.com insignia.chumby.com pandora.chumby.com ping.chumby.com

From which address the controlpanel is loaded?

There are two copies of controlpanel.swf on my chumby (/usr/widgets/controlpanel.swf and /tmp/controlpanel.swf).  Can't I use one of them?

Thanx, oliaros

The one in /tmp/ should be the the one that is downloaded at startup, so it should be the current.

how to use it without a usb-stick?

the site http://chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2 … 2.8.85.swf seems to hold the space clock. I set chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com to localhost in /psp/hosts and created the dir /controlpanels with falconwing-controlpanel-2.8.85.swf in it assuming the control panel would be loaded from there. But it is not. What can I do?
oliaros

12 (edited by servalan 2013-03-12 12:49:06)

Try:

cp falconwing-controlpanel-2.8.85.swf controlpanel.swf

It's the filename which it uses on my Chumby (CC) - loads from /mnt/usb though.

Switching the domain to localhost means that you'd need to run an HTTP server that can fulfill the same request - it doesn't switch it to simply loading local files.

14 (edited by oliaros 2013-03-13 11:21:06)

thanx for the hints, Duane & Christian! I now put the controlpanel to my web server (http://oliaros.dyndns.org/controlpanels … 2.8.85.swf), reachable from the chumby in the local net. I changed the /psp/hosts that chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com points to 192.168.0.254. Now the local control panel is loaded at startup but unfortunately the widget cycling does not work.

Putting the control panel locally to /www/controlpanels/falconwing-controlpanel-2.8.85.swf (and changing hosts to 127.0.0.1) using Chumby's webserver loads it local as well.

Any further hints?

since today my chumby one worked fine cycling widgets (for one year !) with the described work around. Today it stopped loading the control panel. I had to remove the line

127.0.0.1 chumbyfiles.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com

from hosts to get it work again. But now I'm back to the beginning: The widget cycling stops every time space clock widget is reached.

Any hints? Thx 4 help,

oliaros

There was a Control Panel change - you'll need to replace your "falconwing-controlpanel-2.8.85.swf" with "falconwing-controlpanel-2.8.86.swf" since that's what the server is now specifying.

works fine!

thx 4 the hint  Duane,

oliaros