Topic: Just a bump in the world

I just had to put a bump in this topic when I realized how much the tech world has changed since the Chumby came along. Quaint, charming, almost "20th-century." This thread is described as a "Discussion of the Chumby Screensaver for desktop computer." A screensaver without viruses or ads??? Is that an app I can download from the Windows Store? Yes, I do miss my desktop. And the CRT's were so "interactive" especially when everybody smoked cigarettes. It's not a fond memory scrubbing the tar and nicotine off "the computer" at work with Windex. At least in those days you couldn't "lose" your "computer" by leaving it in your pants pocket.

Re: Just a bump in the world

crt's, why, you young whippersnappers... back in my day, you fed punchcards in, and if you were lucky, paper got spat out....

kids these days! hrmph! wink

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

We went to the Smithsonian a few weeks back.  The Computer display is amazing.  Hey, I used to WORK on those computers, PDP-8 pdp-11, VAX-VMS,  Punch cards, papertape, OS/8, CP/M, RSTS/E

4 (edited by bobsz 2014-02-08 19:37:43)

Remember how many boxes of punchcards were piled up all over the place? No worry about cutting tress back them. Do you folks know that punchcards were very old technology, used on things like automated looms? Apparently they're still in use for some things like looms and musical instruments. I happened to be reading an article about this recently and it struck me how they were really the first binary recorders, either there was a hole or no hole, a 1 or a zero. Another paper memory- remember how for a few years we'd constantly make long banners on dot-matrix paper? It was such an art, making a six foot long "Welcome Back Harry" banner with a smile face. Monospaced font art, another great lost art.

Thanks for the info on the Smithsonian collection. Sounds great.

And while we are on the topic, anybody ever drop a stack of said punch cards before you fed it into the reader?  Brutal...

marcev wrote:

And while we are on the topic, anybody ever drop a stack of said punch cards before you fed it into the reader?  Brutal...

Fortunately, ah keeps mah feathers numbered for just such an eventuality

Foghorn leghorn!  Great quote...

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Foghorn_ … fl_021.mp3

One of my favorites. Might explain why I am not married.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

it might at that. wink