Topic: Chumby One dead :(

My beloved Chumby One died. sad i woke up the other day it was was flashing on and off and today it wont turn on at all.  Its been plugged in and on my desk in the same spot for almost 2 years.  Any thoughts on what could have happened or if its fixable?

Its the same Chumby i used to make this video. https://vimeo.com/58569110

Re: Chumby One dead :(

barnapkins wrote:

My beloved Chumby One died. sad i woke up the other day it was was flashing on and off and today it wont turn on at all.

sounds like you're a victim of 'bad capacitor syndrome'.

one of the caps in the wall wort is prone to going bad, and that gives chumby indigestion.

there's a video on youtube on how to fix it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbhG7JyT50  I've got a c1 that quit on me recently, and I cracked open the power brick and sure enough, that cap the guy in the video replaced was swollen (bad!).

I just now, like, in the middle of writing this post, went over and soldered in a new 1000uf capacitor that I got today... and my c1 booted up and logged in, and displayed the clock.

if you (or a friend) are at all handy with a soldering iron, I'd it's an easy fix.  (I used channel lock pliars to crack open the case, couple firm squeezes along the side and it popped right open.)

just make sure your get a 10v to 16v cap, higher voltage ones, while they're electrically fine, are usually too large physically to fit into the tight space in there (it's crowded).

I'm thinking about starting the chumby rescue society.  fixing those adapters for people, 'course they'd have to pay shipping both ways.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Or, you can get an adapter from eBay. The 2.5mm ac adapters (Look for one that's 5 volts and 2 amps!) work if you don't move them, according to sky123. Or you can get the adapter adapters from Doktor Jones in this thread : http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8574 that take standard 5v ac adapters. Finally, you can donate it to the Me Foundation. tongue

nathanm wrote:

Finally, you can donate it to the Me Foundation. tongue

hey, don't prey on the bereaved! his chumby's sick!  tongue

diamaunt wrote:
barnapkins wrote:

My beloved Chumby One died. sad i woke up the other day it was was flashing on and off and today it wont turn on at all.

sounds like you're a victim of 'bad capacitor syndrome'.

one of the caps in the wall wort is prone to going bad, and that gives chumby indigestion.

there's a video on youtube on how to fix it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgbhG7JyT50  I've got a c1 that quit on me recently, and I cracked open the power brick and sure enough, that cap the guy in the video replaced was swollen (bad!).

I just now, like, in the middle of writing this post, went over and soldered in a new 1000uf capacitor that I got today... and my c1 booted up and logged in, and displayed the clock.

if you (or a friend) are at all handy with a soldering iron, I'd it's an easy fix.  (I used channel lock pliars to crack open the case, couple firm squeezes along the side and it popped right open.)

just make sure your get a 10v to 16v cap, higher voltage ones, while they're electrically fine, are usually too large physically to fit into the tight space in there (it's crowded).

I'm thinking about starting the chumby rescue society.  fixing those adapters for people, 'course they'd have to pay shipping both ways.

I removed the C6 1000uF capacitor from my Chumby 1 with no visual damage.  After replacing the capacitor she rebooted just fine and is now playing my Christmas tunes again!

Thanks for the help!

jcjessen wrote:

I removed the C6 1000uF capacitor from my Chumby 1 with no visual damage.  After replacing the capacitor she rebooted just fine and is now playing my Christmas tunes again! 

Thanks for the help!

yay!!!! always happy to see one of the lil critters start working again!

mine is flashing all the features as if it were selling at the store, i can't set it up. any suggestions?

They start to do weird things when the power gets iffy...  others may have more insight as to the exact problem ou're experiencing.

9 (edited by nathanm 2014-01-21 10:44:44)

Try powering it off, then turning it on while touching the screen and tapping "Restart to normal use" or something. I don't know the exact wording.