Topic: ARGH! Infocast 3.5 was dropped!!!

I gave one of my Infocast 3.5s to my daughter and she dropped it....Opps! The only thing wrong is that the part that the power supply plugs into broke off the board inside. UGH! I tried to solder it back on but useless. Is there a replacement board I can easily attach to get this little guy going again? I can't seem to find any broken chumbs. Duane, do you have any parts? It seems like such a small thing but it makes the infocast useless at this point.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Re: ARGH! Infocast 3.5 was dropped!!!

I don't have any parts for the Infocast devices, only the Chumby-branded ones.  We weren't involved at all with the distribution of those devices at all - they were handled directly between the Chinese ODM and Insignia.

I actually bought my personal Infocasts at Best Buy, just like the rest of the users.  There were some early sample units sent to us for testing purposes, but I don't think we ever saw production units.

I asked Best Buy earlier in the year if there was some stock of unsold inventory that I could pick up for some nominal charge, but they said they didn't have any - typically a retailer like them would return unsold units to the manufacturer, who would either dump them in a landfill, liquidate them to the gray market (I'm pretty sure some of those ended up on eBay), or sent away to electronics recycling.

If I remember correctly, I also bought a couple from the BestBuy returns account on eBay a while back, so they got rid of some that way.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

So a chumby part would not work with this infocast? Bummer. I may be able to see if there are some parts hogs on this site or just look for a broken i-35 on Ebay. Thanks for responding.

The C1 uses similar, but not identical, electronics.  I'm not sure if a C1 board will fit in an I3.5 case.

Can you take a picture of the broken part?  Is there a way to solder power wires directly to another part of the PCB that's not cracked?  Maybe near a voltage regulator or something?

IF that is really the only damage there should be a way to make it work (depending on your skill with a soldering iron). I have not opened up an Infocast 3.5 but I would think a direct connection would be possible. Polarity would be my big concern.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

8 (edited by demarks51 2013-12-04 13:01:43)

The barnacle that fell off had four soldering points, two in front near the mouth of the connection and two at the rear of the barnacle. I have fat fingers to begin with and it was very tedious. I tried to superglue the plastic base and then solder the four points down but I kept knocking it lose. {stress meter 9} I hate getting superglue on my fingers! I also think the solder I was using is too lightweight. It crumbled too easily. I thought about doing a direct connect thing like you suggest but wondered how to do it with the four spots to work with and still make is hold fast. I need something that will not only connect correctly but be a permanent connection on a point that is vulnerable (power supply entry). I have not looked closely to a chumby one but was hoping it was similar enough to add the whole lower board and solve the problem. Duane didn't seem to think they are compatible that way.

added: If I can post some pictures I will do that. I have had problems trying to add pics to this site in the past.
added2: I do have an exposed CC working in a cedar box but that is not the same as a C1.

So far I3.5 is sitting in the top of my closet until I can bring him back to life (if possible). I may just have to sell him for parts.

If your solder joints are crumbling (and look sort of frosty and rough on the surface), then this is usually a sign that the joint was not hot enough when soldered. A good solder join will be smooth and shiny and absolutely won't crumble. Generally, it is best to heat the joint with the tip of the soldering iron whilst resting the end of the solder on the joint (not the iron). When the joint is hot, it will melt the solder, which will then flow over the joint. It might be an idea to practise on something else before trying again on your I3.5.
If you were using a resin core solder designed for electronics work, then this should be the right solder. There isn't really a distinction between 'light weigt' and 'heavy duty' electronics solders. You can buy them in different diameters, but this is just so that with a big joint you can use a thicker piece of solder in order to get sufficient solder onto the joint without overheating it; or conversely, with fine work, you can use a thinner solder so as not to end up with too much on the joint. The actual solder is the same.

steelpaw wrote:

There isn't really a distinction between 'light weigt' and 'heavy duty' electronics solders. You can buy them in different diameters, but this is just so that with a big joint you can use a thicker piece of solder in order to get sufficient solder onto the joint without overheating it; or conversely, with fine work, you can use a thinner solder so as not to end up with too much on the joint. The actual solder is the same.

Solder composition is also a factor.  Lead free solder is a pain to work with and usually requires higher temperature, but that comes with the risk of damaging parts on the PCB if you're not proficient at soldering.

Pictures will help.  If you can't get them uploaded directly on the forums, just use photobucket or something and post the link.

Is it possible to use a hackerboard to replace the board that is damaged?
BTW: Is there anyone who has a damaged I-3.5 that would like to see it come to life by combining with my dead one? Frankenchumby!! I can't seem to find a broken infocast to do this. I have all but given up trying to solder or reconnect the power supply portal.

No. The Hacker Board has a different LCD connector from the real board (as well as a number of other important differences), so it won't work in a Chumby.