Topic: My new toy!

After waiting years to find the money/time/right one, I finally dove in and ordered a CNC router.

The info on it can be found here http://blog.inventables.com/2013/10/sha … order.html

Anyone else here play with CNC?

Re: My new toy!

I have not dabbled in CNC but find it interesting. What projects do you have in mind?

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

I have not dabbled in CNC but find it interesting. What projects do you have in mind?

Some ideas but not limited to; project boxes for electronics, gifts, compliment my wife's crafts and what I really want it for is to start building wooden clocks and kinetic sculptures.

http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm

Be very careful when you visit the site! You might not have interest in anything else around you for days! Don't say I didn't warn you!

The clocks are way cool but I have too many clocks already. Between the grandmother clock I built a few years ago, my grandparents German Cuckoo clock, Infocast 8, Chumby 1, Infocast 3.5, Rhythm clock, etc. I have no place of any more clocks. My girlfriend would throw me (and the clocks) out if I added to the collection.

Now if you start talking about custom cases for Chumbys...

5 (edited by infocastme 2013-11-12 09:43:12)

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Now if you start talking about custom cases for Chumbys...

Great minds think alike. This is going to be one of my first projects.

As for the clocks, most will be built for gifts. My wife will not let me collect more "stuff"!

Must post pictures of the custom Chumby cases. Might even try to purchase one from you.

7 (edited by bobsz 2013-11-13 04:40:51)

OMG, what a fascinating group of post-ers we are. I just keep learning about entirely unexpected things. I never even knew a machine such as the CNC router was available to consumers. When I read the first post I thought it was about a wi-fi router. Now the thought of this thing existing is making me dream, too. I can't wait to see some of these projects. PLEASE keep writing about how you put this to use. This is way beyond a toy. Love it. Love this amazing forum! Now I'm dreaming of a Raspberry-pi nuveau Chumby, licenced by Blue Octy to use the widgets, running in some beautiful retro custom case. Can't wait to see pictures in the Arts & Crafts section of the forum. THANKS for this thread, Infocastme!

bobsz wrote:

THANKS for this thread, Infocastme!

You are more than welcome! You are not the only one who learns about the world outside the Chumbysphere here.

One of my first ideas about a modified Chumby case has been one of those old time wooden radio housings. Love the look and shape of those. Of course the more it looks like furniture, the more I can sell its location to the wife!

I totally want a CNC router... don't have room for it at the apartment though. Hopefully once we get a house I'll have my "toy" room wink

10 (edited by infocastme 2013-11-14 09:06:23)

Doktor Jones wrote:

I totally want a CNC router... don't have room for it at the apartment though.

They have plenty of small tabletop versions. In fact the first Shapeoko was just that. That said, noise and project dust is a problem! yikes

The problem is by the time you add the CNC, a 3D printer, a stereolithograpy printer, a vacuum form machine and a laser cutter you have no room to move around them, the wife IS NOT HAPPY and you need to find a bigger house...again.

Ah, the problems with toys.

;-)

Looking back at America in the late 20th Century, I guess this is why every great innovation in Technology and Music, came from somebody with a garage.

bobsz wrote:

Looking back at America in the late 20th Century, I guess this is why every great innovation in Technology and Music, came from somebody with a garage.

Or parents that have/had a garage!

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

The problem is by the time you add the CNC, a 3D printer, a stereolithograpy printer, a vacuum form machine and a laser cutter you have no room to move around them, the wife IS NOT HAPPY and you need to find a bigger house...again.

;-)

Or a different wife! (that is because she has kicked you to the curb for so many toys which you invest all your time into instead of her.) yikes

infocastme wrote:
BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

;-)

Or a different wife! (that is because she has kicked you to the curb for so many toys which you invest all your time into instead of her.) yikes

I don't have all those toys. I wish I did though. As for the wife, never had one of those. The woman I am living with is a good candidate though. I will let you know how that works out in a couple of years.  ;-)