Re: Zurk's Chumby One Offline Firmware (chumby1/infocast3.5/classic only!)

delaney99 wrote:

much easier to modify ? please. inserting a usb disk with widgets, clicking modify widgets and dropping them into the channel using a web page is tougher than editing xml ? not for the rest of us who arent xml hackers.
right time zone is by using the chumby interface and setting the weather in the correct locale is as simple as copying and pasting a few urls into a webpage and hitting save.
dont know which of the firmwares you two have used, but clearly you have not tried any recent ones.

The thing is, mrecord has a Chumby Classic, which because of its lack of storage can't run v21 or above. These newer versions added these features.

After installing zurks offline Firmware V27 i also need  network connection.
after booting it searches network
  checking network status
Is it possible to use it without any network connection?

You might have better luck asking on zurk's forum on Sourceforge

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me sad
After rebooting I found a "fail.txt" file at the stick root saying :
"8 - No Match - Abort - Wrong factory firmware on your chumby"

Does anybody know this issue and get a solution ?

yes its in the README file -- look under factory fresh chumby.
you need the latest correct factory firmware on your chumby prior to installing zurks.

Thanks a lot, dear. And where can I find it ?
(there was no readme file in the zip)

same place where you downloaded it from.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zurk/fi … rce=navbar

I guess you're refering to this : ( ? )

Factory fresh Chumby
--------------------

If your chumby is NOT on the latest factory firmware the offline firmware will not load.
In order to get your chumby to the latest firmware follow the procedure below :
chumby One / Insignia Infocast 3.5

This firmware is for the white plastic chumby devices, with blue trim, HW version 3.x, and Insignia Infocast 3.5", HW version 7.x. The current version of the firmware is 1.0.7.

1) Get a USB flash drive
2) Download this file onto the flash drive (do NOT uppack it):
http://files.chumby.com/resources/chumb … update.tgz
3) Put the flash drive into the back of your device
4) Reboot the device, while touching the screen to get the device into "special options mode".
5) Press the "Install updates" button.
6) Press the "Install from USB flash drive".
7) Confirm

The device should start updating - DO NOT unplug the the device while this is happening!

It did'nt work for me sad
At the step 5 the "Install updates" button is grayed :

My chumby said that fw version was 1830

I have this zurk firmware up.  I cant seem to figure out how to setup an account on the forum Zurk uses for support.

I can read others posts, but not post my own.

I have his software running, but when I add accuweather, It always shows Key Largo, FL.  It seems alot have that same problem as it must be the default for the app.

He has an editor to edit a snippet of a preferences file to add City/St and zip, and I've saved it and updated it using the web methods he describes, but it stays Key Largo, Fl and the data only seems to update once upon reboot, but still stays Key Largo

So, I need to post this over there, as the instructions for updating are not complete or consistent or hopefully, someone still reading this forum has gotten this to work.

135 (edited by bobsz 2013-08-01 23:06:44)

Zurk's message board is actually hosted by a site called Sourceforge. They're a big site that hosts open-source projects. You don’t actually register for "zurk's forum" to be able to post, I'm pretty sure you have to register with Sourceforge-

https://sourceforge.net/user/registration

achambily : make sure the usb disk is FAT32 not NTFS.
accuweather works fine here. On v28 the accuweather template is also available so configure it via the accuweather template rather than editing parameters directly via the XML snippet.

Where is the accuwather template?  I am also on v27
Did v28 come out?

Hi zurk.
Thank you for the offline version! I have installed this version now. It's working fine for me, but I miss the simple digital clock with large digits (I don't know the name, but I had this clock before the chumby was going "offline"). Can you help me, please? big_smile

SvenC wrote:

Hi zurk.
Thank you for the offline version! I have installed this version now. It's working fine for me, but I miss the simple digital clock with large digits (I don't know the name, but I had this clock before the chumby was going "offline"). Can you help me, please? big_smile

If you want a simple clock, go to this forum post: http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8867 and get the "Bad Eyesight Firmware". If you want a bunch of clocks and assorted widgets, get the NathanWare. It's all plug and play, no configuration required.

Ah. Thanks nathanm. I will try the other versions. smile

141 (edited by SvenC 2013-08-20 12:52:29)

Another question @nathanm. Do you have the squeezebox widget from edgylogic? I have this widget with the zurk-FW (backup?), but there is no configuration available, so that this widget does not work with squeezerver on NAS (maybe the old config. problem).

SvenC wrote:

Another question @nathanm. Do you have the squeezebox widget from edgylogic? I have this widget with the zurk-FW (backup?), but there is no configuration available, so that this widget does not work with squeezerver on NAS (maybe the old config. problem).

You can use the XML snippet from Zurk's firmware in the /www/xml/profiles file.

143 (edited by SvenC 2013-08-20 14:22:54)

Ah, I will try it. Thank you. smile

Now, I found the discussion about squeezerver here http://sourceforge.net/p/zurk/discussio … it=25#5060

and it's working fine for me now. big_smile

Another question about zurk's FW. How can I remove the time and date on below? I can see this on every widget.

SvenC wrote:

Ah, I will try it. Thank you. smile

Now, I found the discussion about squeezerver here http://sourceforge.net/p/zurk/discussio … it=25#5060

and it's working fine for me now. big_smile

Another question about zurk's FW. How can I remove the time and date on below? I can see this on every widget.

You'll have to look it up on Zurk's forum, but you have do delete a file called clockoverlay.xml. I don't know where it's located, however.

I believe you will find clockoverlay.xml in the /psp directory on your Chumby. Just delete it and the annoying clock will go away.

SvenC wrote:

I miss the simple digital clock with large digits (I don't know the name, but I had this clock before the chumby was going "offline").

This site has a bunch of swf clocks available.

http://www.adamdorman.com/flash_clocks/1/

147 (edited by SvenC 2013-08-21 09:52:17)

Thanks. Now, the squeezeplayer is working fine for me on chumby 1 and 8. PERFECT. big_smile
Now, I will searching the correct clock and I will remove the related overlay xml.  I found a whole widget list with all? widgets for chumby....

@infocastme
Seems, my preferred clock is not listed on your link. wink
It was a simple clock with large digits (digital) and you can change the color and font. All the other clocks are too small for me (night and without glasses big_smile ).

Hah, I found the clock

Clocks\Largedigitalclock\

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130821/9th9kdxn.jpg

/edit

Okay, clock installed and it's running fine. smile

148 (edited by Chum_Bee 2013-08-21 08:25:34)

I've got one of the original Chumby's [Chumby Classic?]  Confusing to keep track of all the versions seems to me Chumby One would be the original since it came first but I digress...

I'd like to be able to run the Large Clock widget (mentioned in post 150), GD Radio and Weather Underground Station ID KNYENDWE2.  Can anyone please help me out, is this even possible in 2013 on the first Chumby produced?

149 (edited by SvenC 2013-08-21 09:16:53)

You can find here the latest files

There is an archive from      2013-03-25  zurk_chumby_classic.zip
It should be the correct one for the classic chumby?

150 (edited by Chum_Bee 2013-08-27 12:17:50)

SvenC wrote:

You can find here the latest files

There is an archive from      2013-03-25  zurk_chumby_classic.zip
It should be the correct one for the classic chumby?

Thanks, I downloaded it, unzipped it and installed it to a blank USB stick.  I booted my Chumby classic with this USB stick and it doesn't give me the setup options I was expecting.  I'd like to have one channel set up as the Large Clock, another channel as Weather Underground displaying station KNYENDWE2 and to be able to stream GD Radio.  Unfortunately, I have no clue how to set this up with the zurk offline files. 

At this point I'm not interested in any other widgets just the large clock and this Personal Weather station via the Weather Underground widget and to be able to stream GD Radio.  Can anyone please help explain how to do this?  I'm not a programmer and am on a Mac if additional software is required to edit or tweak the zurk files.