1 (edited by scruffy1 2013-05-19 02:05:06)

Topic: power supply option

my chumby1 seemed to die, and googling led me to understand that it was actually the power brick from the symptoms

it was only then that i discovered the brick supplied with it 2nd hand was 12v @ 500mA .... eek!

still, the tough little bugger has survived for these last 2 years without issue... wink respect for the resilience of my abused toy

in my room was one only 6v @ 2100mA adapter, and lo and behold it works AND has a perfect connector

the original use was a usb adapter i thought, but it's origin is lost in the passage of time; for those looking for a plug and play alternative to the real thing, it is for 240v ac 50hz, and is listed on the device as :
AC-DC ADAPTOR
model : MWD48-0602100AS

a quick google of similar model numbers looks like it's a netgear thing, but your guess is as good as mine - hope that info is of use to someone

Re: power supply option

IIRC most specialized tablet chargers actually put out much more than 5V! Most I've seen are 9V. Check the voltage and the amperage rating on the supply - if the voltage is anything other than 5V (±0.5V), or the current/amperage is anything less than 2A/2000mA for the C1 and 2.5A/2500mA for the C8, it's probably not going to work. Notably, this does mean that a supply that works for the C8 will work for the C1, provided you adapt it to the right size connector.

That scruffy found any adapter at all with the correct connector is quite amazing. 

I don't know where that connector came from but the one on chumby is bizarre!   

I work at a place where we have maybe 10s of thousands of those AC adapters.  We scrap them. 

I looked through them for a few weeks off and on and I found very few that the plug would fit, much less appropriate specs.  I went to an electronic store, a big one. They must have had 40 or 50 coaxial plugs.  None that would fit a chumby.

I've been running my Original Black Soft-Side on a 6 Volt supply since day one as it only made sense. Why put stress on internal regulation components to perform such a voltage drop since the primary circuitry only needs 5 Volts. Incase you're thinking, why not run it on 5V, because when you run through the regulation components, you do infur a small voltage loss. Chumby overall to today, runs cooler and the screen still has all the brilliance as when i took it out of the bag.