Topic: chumby classic intermittent power connection

At first I thought that repeated stress had caused a short in the end of my power supply wire. I tried a different one which also displays intermittent power loss when touched or manipulated, but which powers another device flawlessly. So it would seem there is a short *inside* my classic. Has anyone encountered this? Any possible advice on the approach to take fixing? Thanks!

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan

Re: chumby classic intermittent power connection

If it were a short, you'd likely over-work the power supply and break it.  More than likely it's a cold solder joint, cracked PCB having a weak trace or something like that.  Unfortunately because of the way the classic is constructed, it will likely be very difficult for you to take it apart for repairs without messing it up for re-assembly.  I tore down 1 classic and it's only ever going to be a bunch of parts that may be put in a custom enclosure at some point.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Materdaddy wrote:

Unfortunately because of the way the classic is constructed, it will likely be very difficult for you to take it apart for repairs without messing it up for re-assembly.  I tore down 1 classic and it's only ever going to be a bunch of parts that may be put in a custom enclosure at some point.

Given that the problem is most probably located just under Chumby's 'skin' (ie where the power supply connector joins the PCB or thereabouts, since the issue can be triggered by wiggling the connector), perhaps you could try some careful surgery.
That flexible plate that has the connectors on it looks like it is glued onto the leather - if you peeled it off then you might be able to gain access to the area needing repair. I would be reluctant to take the Classic apart from the front, since it looks like it would be very difficult to ever get it back together nicely again, but the back doesn't have to be put together as neatly. You could even cut the leather a bit on the back, if that was what was needed to save your Chumby.

steelpaw wrote:

Given that the problem is most probably located just under Chumby's 'skin' (ie where the power supply connector joins the PCB or thereabouts, since the issue can be triggered by wiggling the connector), perhaps you could try some careful surgery.
That flexible plate that has the connectors on it looks like it is glued onto the leather - if you peeled it off then you might be able to gain access to the area needing repair. I would be reluctant to take the Classic apart from the front, since it looks like it would be very difficult to ever get it back together nicely again, but the back doesn't have to be put together as neatly. You could even cut the leather a bit on the back, if that was what was needed to save your Chumby.

That's a good point.  I have some pieces of my classic here and it looks like the power connector has 4 SMD pad connection points to the board.  One of these might be prying.  I'm not sure how easily you can get to this without full disassembly though.  Good luck!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Thanks for the insights guys, will let you know how I make out.

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan