Re: What I've been doing lately.

Duane, i agree with mathew, if you need help give us a hint.

I hope you and your family are fine again and there is enough time for you to push some things forwards.

There's really not much of a way to help just yet.  I just need to slog through it.

In any case, progress is being made - on my dev system, I now have the 3.5" devices authorizing and pulling channels and widgets from the new system, using the cleaned-up version of the database.

In other words, I have a chumby playing real widgets from a real server again.  It was actually quite moving to see them roll by once more, and the happy "200" responses scroll by in the server logs.

My guess is that I'm at about 60% on the 3.5" devices, then I can move on to the 8" devices, which use a different protocol.  I should then be able to set up a test server for folks to play with while I bring up the user-facing part of the site.

Duane wrote:

There's really not much of a way to help just yet.  I just need to slog through it.

In any case, progress is being made - on my dev system, I now have the 3.5" devices authorizing and pulling channels and widgets from the new system, using the cleaned-up version of the database.

In other words, I have a chumby playing real widgets from a real server again.  It was actually quite moving to see them roll by once more, and the happy "200" responses scroll by in the server logs.

My guess is that I'm at about 60% on the 3.5" devices, then I can move on to the 8" devices, which use a different protocol.  I should then be able to set up a test server for folks to play with while I bring up the user-facing part of the site.

Thanks for the update, Duane! It's great to know that soon my I3.5 will be pulling down widgets! Anyway, how will the test server work? If I'm on the test server already, do I still have to edit my HOSTS file? How will widgets work, as well? Right now, is there just a set account with maybe a few Chumby Industries widgets running, or will the full system be brought up? Will the new system cost high enough that when it rolls out, users will have to pay money? I encourage this since I don't want "Update: Duane switches server to his $100 netbook he bought at CVS, location changes to local homeless shelter" to be the next status update.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really excited about this.

The test server would be running the modified version of the database snapshot I took just before shutting down the old system - all of the user accounts, channels, widgets, etc would be there.

You would have to modify the hosts file as we did with the stub server, however, it will be a little more complicated since the services will be split apart again.

Any changes made on the test server - accounts, channels, widgets, etc - will *not* be synced with production - in fact, it's very likely that it will be reset several times back to the snapshot as bugs are fixed. When production goes online, it will be seeded with the same original snapshot.

Great work Duane, thanks for the encouraging report. @nathanm, you sound downright giddy. You'll see, this is definitely worth waiting for.

Duane wrote:

Exciting news. I have a couple of 3.5" devices that I would be happy to point at your test system.

mathew wrote:
Duane wrote:

Exciting news. I have a couple of 3.5" devices that I would be happy to point at your test system.

Same for me. Duane, if you need an alpha tester, I'm your guy.

We have 2 Chumby Ones and an Infocast 3.5 here to test if you need. And a Sony Dash, still working on their servers, for comparison of widgets.

yes i will be happy to beta test. the space clock thing is getting old.

I have both an infocast 3.5 and and infocast 8 that still lead great lives as internet radios. Just wanted to post to show my support for Duane and all he is doing for us, it is very much appreciated

Just a bump from another anxious infocast 8 owner patiently waiting in the wings...... please know we are all rooting for you even if we are remaining quiet...... wink

Thank you Duane. As the owner of two Chumby One's and a Sony Dash, I really appreciate your work.

Thank you very much Duane. Really looking forward to update my two Chumby One's, a Chumby Classic and even 2 Sony Dash', I really appreciate your work. Im ready to join the beta-test with my Classic

is it possible to activate a 'new' chumby?

I bought the one on here for $50, almost new in box.

How would one go about activating it?

There's no activation required at the moment - once it's connected to Wifi, if should operate just like any other device.

If/when the full service is restored, then you'd need to activate it.

If it's truly "new", then you may have to apply a firmware update over USB.

Duane, please be so kind and give us a short status.

sky123 wrote:

Duane, please be so kind and give us a short status.

Agreed. I'd like to know what's been going on with the service since April.

Anything new?

I'm afraid no news may be bad news.

I don't know what duane's been up to, specifically, behind the scenes.

But, I do know that he's still working on things.  so, not bad news.

Cleaning up any loose bits and bytes.

Yeah, I'm still working on stuff, but admittedly slowly.  Things have been busy up at work and sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home is yet more programming.

Duane wrote:

Yeah, I'm still working on stuff, but admittedly slowly.  Things have been busy up at work and sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home is yet more programming.

But Duane, *PROGRAMMING* is SOOOOO FUNNNNNNNNNN

12 hours during the day, then programming all night.....SO COOL!     wink