1 (edited by Steevo 2013-07-08 06:50:05)

Topic: Lots of possible authentication failures the last few days.

I have three chumbys running (actually infocast 3.5), and they all keep saying "Not connected" intermittently.

Invariably I can click network, use an existing connection, and they will connect fine.

It seems like a wifi problem, they always reconnect fine, but I just noticed they sometimes they will fail on "authenticating".

One more thing I think is interesting is I have one by my bed.  My chumby goes live at 7, before that it is in night mode.   I woke up this morning.  It said 8:23.  Late.  I looked at another clock, and it was more like 6 AM. The seconds on the space clock were changing but the time was clearly wrong.

I reached around back, turned it off and on and it downloaded control panel and then said the correct time. Odd.  First time I have seen that.

I have other devices on my wifi and I have no sign of any problems.

In case Duane has logs and feels this is worth investigating one is SN 00002512 MAC D8:5D:4C:BE:C5:07.  That one is 6' from my wifi router.

Hm.  It just disconnected before my eyes, I told it to reconnect, it said network connection successful then chumby.com is unreachable. about 7:33 am PDT.  It did that a few more times and it just reconnected at 7:49 PDT.

Odd.

Re: Lots of possible authentication failures the last few days.

I took a look at the server stats, and they're rock steady at 1.6 Mbps outbound with no disruptions.  There don't seem to be any gaps in the logs and no service alarms have triggered.

The time sync script doesn't use any Chumby services - time.chumby.com is just a CNAME to pool.ntp.org.

If you see more of this, see if you can reach chumby.com with a browser - it's the same machine.

I suspected that.  Must be a problem with my local network from ATT.  They suck, btw.

Perhaps you could take your Chumby to a friend's house and see if it misbehaves there? Preferably someone with a different ISP. I have my doubts about it being your ISP though.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

They only do it every day or so. 
It's nothing that could be tested by taking them elsewhere. Take too long.
Sometimes they eventually reconnect themselves, without intervention, so it's possible they are doing it while I am not looking.

As I mentioned I have three of them and they all do it, but not at the same time.
If they all had the same symptom simultaneously that would be one thing.

That they all do it and not together means ISP, Network or Server.  Right?

6 (edited by demarks51 2013-07-09 12:28:05)

Now that you mention it my I8 (morphed to C8) asks if I would like to reconnect to the web every morning about 7am. I go through the cycle and it finds my network and reconnects. My other I8 does not do this ever. Neither does any of the other chumbs--2-CCs and two I-3.5s. I thought maybe the morpher was just too sensitive.

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

I had this problem.  It comes and goes.  I did look a bit at it a year or so back, I got to the fact it was a DHCP problem of some sort, and switched my chumbs to static addresses.  Hasn't happenned since

Still disconnecting, and mostly reconnects automatically.
It seems like an authentication failure.

I am using static IPs on my three chumbys, by the way. 

So odd.  The one right in front of me just disconnected, and reconnected.  And it does have a static IP.

There was an attempt to break into the server from about 10:03 AM through 10:13 AM UTC, with a flood of requests, which hit the limit of open files, resulting in a refusal of a small number of incoming connections.

The server gets around 30 requests/second, and during this period was dropping about one connection every 3 to 4 seconds.

It went back to normal after the attack.

I still have all my chumbys (I-3.5) disconnecting daily. 
They reconnect automatically after a while. 
I can tell them to reconnect and they do.

I see authentication failure sometimes, if I look.