Topic: using chumbu off my verizon fios?

im getting verizon cable/internet the modem is also a router so im ditching my netgear router the ne fios requires a 5 digit password its locked,does the chumby allow for router settings basically can i set the chumby conection to imput the password/or is it only for standard wireless like my netgear?

Re: using chumbu off my verizon fios?

I don't have an answer for that - we'll have to do some research.

We implement the industry standards for WEP and WPA-PSK wireless encryption - the the extent that a vendor may layer some additional proprietary or non-standard security scheme on top of that, it may be a problem depending how it's done.

from what i understand of the FIOS service is that you can control the wi-fi security settings on the verizon-supplied
router.  do you know if you are getting the actiontec router?

if you can provide some more details on the equipment, i'll attempt to help with the settings.

/mdkail

as far as actiontec i dont know what you mean,i did see a youtube video of the chumby and it detected the guys router at startup and he had to imput his password which means his router was locked so verizons router is locked you do have to add the password on a computer for new connections so im going to say yes it supports it its no different if i lock linksy or netgear so neibors cant access my router usually its a 5 or 7 digit web code,thanks...

have you read the following?

http://www.chumby.com/help/faq/3

and

http://www.chumby.com/help/connect_wep

so, what we need to know is does your FIOS router support WEP?

/mdkail

I have FIOS with my chumby, and all I had to do was put the WEP key in, the first time I connected to the network.  After that, Chumby works great!

I'm using my Chumby with Verizon Fios too.

No issues.

wow thankyou all of you for your input yes wep now i understand i havent recieved my chumby yet but its on its way im playing with the virtual chumby and having a ball however does the chumby allow you to go back or foward with widgets if say you saw something and as it goes to the next widget you want to go back?

Yes the *real* chumby allows you to switch between widgets and channels, or even stay on a particular widget.