Topic: Android/IOS alternative?

Sad about the loss of the chumby service so i am looking for some Android or IOS app that does the basics of the chumby with no need for flash.   I keep looking for an app that is basically a slideshow of feeds.   I really want something that will loop thru:
Weather
Newest 5 or so email messages
Newest Twitter messages
Newest Facebook messages
Latest world/local news stories.

The cost of android tablets are so cheap these days and I have older ones that I don't even use so they could be re-purposed for the task.

Thoughts?

Re: Android/IOS alternative?

I thought about this a while back. There really isn't an Android (or other device) that truly takes the place of the Chumby. You can use an Android app to replace a single Chumby widget, but the overall experience is lacking. My own opinion of course.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Of course, once the servers go back up, you can use the Chumby lite app for Android to replace the Chumby.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

I thought about this a while back. There really isn't an Android (or other device) that truly takes the place of the Chumby. You can use an Android app to replace a single Chumby widget, but the overall experience is lacking. My own opinion of course.

I couldn't agree more.  I've found individual apps but no single integrated solution.

I used (until it failed) a 7" android tablet in place of my little chumby.  For my purposes, I liked it better overall.  The apps and widgets on android are generally more capable.  I could control lighting, view IP cameras (could never get that to work on chumby), make and recieve phone calls and texts, control TVs, etc....  I ended up setting up multiple widgets and shortcuts on a single screen to meet my needs and desires. 

(I don't think I would like using an iOS device quite as well as android for this purpose.)

Of course, if you want a single, full-screen view, cycling through each of your various feeds, this becomes a bit more difficult with android.  Also, I find that the chumby was a bit better in a few ways (back lighting, night clock, alarm clock) but overall, I prefer the power and flexibility of the android.

Unfortunately, the android tablet I was using failed after a year or so.  Maybe I will replace it, but I am hesitant to drop another $100 on a cheap tablet (that may fail in a year).  We will see.

Right now, I have a sangean clock radio and samsung galaxy player (5") tablet.  The tablet gives me some weather, home automation, camera feeds, but I use the clock radio for time and alarms.

im looking at the note 3 (or maybe note 4) and a small LCD monitor as an all in one chumby replacement.

The problem with most alternative ideas like tablets is that they're not meant to be "lit" 24/7, nor to cycle through screens. Of course I can get the same info on my tablet but have to pull it in manually.

bobsz wrote:

The problem with most alternative ideas like tablets is that they're not meant to be "lit" 24/7, nor to cycle through screens. Of course I can get the same info on my tablet but have to pull it in manually.

I agree with regards to the 24/7 duty cycle concern.  I used a combination of tasker and alarms to shut the screen off a good part of the day and night.  Even then, I had a screen failure in less than two years.  I assume it was because of this concern.

No, you cannot cycle through screens to my knowledge.  On the other hand, with an android tablet, using widgets, I had (with a single glance) visibility into what interested me (time, alamrs, weather, camera feeds, email, texts, phone messages) without having to WAIT for the device to cycle through each screen.  For my purposes, I found that this was the superior approach.

I would like to go back to the tablet, but concerns over screen life have given me pause.