Topic: "Black screen"

hello.

a few days ago the chumby one was in black screen. i jts tried turn it off and on but nothing better.
i did not have any time to check... but now:

so today i just startet agaion and the screen was black (i think the backlight is very very low but it appera as black)
i made factory reset but now it just starts in black screen-mode with no function
(nothing with control panel or something like this)

what is to do?

Re: "Black screen"

Not sure by your discription if your Chumby is actually working and the screen is not working or if the Chumby is not powering up.

If the backlight is burned out you might be able to see a very faint image on the screen. Pointing a strong light at it might help to see the image. If you can see the normal display but it is very dark the backlight is probably bad.

If it is solid black the unit may not be powering up at all. In that case the power supply may have died.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

i can see that the light is very very dark - but it it on.

and nothing on the screen -  just everywhere almost black (a very little bit lighter then the screen when turned off)

If you can see anything, try to navigate to the brightness settings and see if you can adjust them.

no there is nothing to see on the screen (just a black screen with a very very dark light all over)

before i made factory reset the chumby one startet to download control panel and then went into black.
now it start because without user-data9 directly in black-screen-mode.

I would suggest trying the offline software to determine if you have corrupt software or a hardware problem.

today i treid to install "the offline sofrtware zurk v24.

first: it worked i could install it.

but after install and in the first start (the speakrer says "welcome and zurk and v24") the screen also goes to black-screen-mode

during the install the screen shoes the ligth blue circles on the dark blue screen. so i think the screen-hardware ist okay. also the speaker is okay.

but what can i do the go out of this black-screen-mode?

I still think this is related to brightness.

The two files that affect this are /psp/dimlevel (which should contain "0" for normal mode) and /psp/daytime_brightness (which normally contains "100").

You could try a small "debugchumby" script to fix them:

#!/bin/sh
echo 0 > /psp/dimlevel
echo 100 > /psp/daytime_brightness

connect to the chumby with a web browser and set the brightness using zurk's web control panel.
put 80 into the brightness box which is marked 20 and click SET.

Hello.

First: it seems that all works fine now.

What i did: i first tried to install zurks offline-software without better effect   still blackscreen mode
Then it tried the script obove from duane without better effect
At last i tried to install new software from here ( http://files.chumby.com/resources/chumb … date.tgz). That was the solution

I do not know what happened but that does not matter for me

Glad your chumby is working again. Enjoy!