Topic: Schematics for Silvermoon devices?

Are schematics for the Silvermoon devices (Chumby 8 / Infocast 8) available anywhere? I'm currently trying to get a 3.0+ kernel running on my device — it'd help immensely to know exactly how various parts are wired up to the CPU.

I've currently got a 3.2 kernel that will start booting on my device, but it doesn't know anything about the internal SD card yet. The PXA168 support code has changed significantly, so simply copying silvermoon.c from the original kernel doesn't work.

Re: Schematics for Silvermoon devices?

Please try:

http://files.chumby.com/hdwedocs/silver … ref_v3.pdf

Precisely what I was looking for. Thanks!

Why are you updating the kernel?  I'm sure it's something fun!

Will you be sharing your work?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

5 (edited by dusk 2013-05-06 07:09:33)

Debian 7.0 ("Wheezy"), which came out over the weekend, comes with a version of udev that requires a 2.6.32 or later kernel. The device shipped with 2.6.28, so a new kernel is needed.

If I get this working, I will definitely be sharing my work.

dusk wrote:

Debian 7.0 ("Wheezy"), which came out over the weekend, comes with a version of udev that requires a 2.6.32 or later kernel. The device shipped with 2.6.28, so a new kernel is needed.

If I get this working, I will definitely be sharing my work.

Ah, so you're getting debian up and running on the chumby?  Cool!  Good luck!

7 (edited by dusk 2013-05-06 10:26:25)

I've had both of my Infocast devices running Debian 6.0 for around a year now, actually! I'm just running into a few issues on the upgrade.

There are a few minor gotchas on the install (for instance: on the Infocast 8, you need to run cpi at least once at boot or shutdown/reboot will fail), but nothing particularly serious. If you're interested, I can put together a starter image.

dusk wrote:

I've had both of my Infocast devices running Debian 6.0 for around a year now, actually! I'm just running into a few issues on the upgrade.

There are a few minor gotchas on the install (for instance: on the Infocast 8, you need to run cpi at least once at boot or shutdown/reboot will fail), but nothing particularly serious. If you're interested, I can put together a starter image.

Sure, I love to tinker.

How well does it run, and what do you do with it?  Do you run anything with the touchscreen?  Does it make it easy to write some GUI using wx or GTK or anything?

What you can do with it is a little limited. I haven't got X11 running, so wx/GTK is out, and the touchscreen is kind of a pain. Right now I'm using pygame for some simple things, but at some point I mean to try and get SDL up and running.

Also, I don't have the internal wireless card working. Mine is just plugged in with a USB/Ethernet adapter. Let me be clear: this is a system for tinkerers, nothing more.

So what does pygame use for graphics?  Directly writing to the framebuffer?  I have some SDL code working based on the work of others.  Maybe once you get an image going, I can look at helping get this a little further.

Pygame uses SDL under the hood as well; it's just a Python library which wraps SDL and makes some things a little easier. What I meant is that I need to figure out how to use SDL directly, as pygame has some kind of weird quirks (especially surrounding touch input).

Sorry, the threads a bit old, but I was wondering Dusk, if you've moved forward on your Debian project?

Brian

Brian, #1 Joan Jett Fan